1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fanboi Excuse-Making Or Attempt At Balance.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 4, 2008.

1. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/04/cal-look-deep-when-considering-my-team/

Discuss.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know. I've heard plenty of people say they don't like Memphis because they look like thugs.
    It seems to be in response to that.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

LeBatard Lite.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

actually, I think that's a pretty good column. I've heard the "thug" line about Memphis since Calipari got there. This addresses those charges.

I also learned something about a few of those players I didn't know going in, which is always a good sign.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sparky Anderson agrees with Coach Cal.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

DLB wishes he could write something that good.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Calipari's teams are always going to have that reputation for as long as Calipari coaches. It's the way it is.

It's taken me a long time to get over my sheer, unadulterated hatred of U-Mass that came about because of Calipari. Even now, I still don't think very highly of U-Trash.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doesn't anybody think it's slightly built on the false premise that Memphis is some reinvention of Texas Western? I don't recall this team being particularly maligned throughout the season. Yeah, the Tigers play in a shit conference.

A shrewder column would identify Bob Knight as an indirect source of some of the doubt about Memphis in the tourney; Knight, being the contrarian asshole he is, decided to suggest injured, worn out Pittsburgh was going to win the national title, which planted the seed in the heads of many that, suddenly, Memphis was a lesser team by virtue of being in Pitt's corner of the bracket.

9. My own question would be just how those guys afford all the tats, since they run between $300-$1000 apiece, according to what I've been able to gather. Books, fees, room and board?
    Calipari has never had a job where he didn't wipe his feet on the rulebook.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This would be a good question to ask at any major program -- football or basketball -- in the country. I've never thought of that before.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And the perfect place to do the asking is in these crowded press conference media rooms at gatherings such as the Final Four week.
    Instead, sadly, we see far more softballs hurled up at these big-time coaches.

Perfect place to raise one's hand, and ask in nice tone how they figure their players can pay for these tattoos (and other stuff) when the costs are so high.

I'd love to hear those four coaches' responses.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Basically, those people are saying "There's not enough whites on the team."

I have yet to see a fan describe a white player as a "thug."

Draft saved Draft deleted