1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan that threw a banana at Adam Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Aug 12, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I knew you'd slam the alley-oop

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lob pass, amigo.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

who

Seriously, is it that hard? Seems to be, as often as I see this one.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

First time you got me on this. My bad.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

maybe a banana has a different connotation in S.F.?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't buy his explanation.

7. Humungus

Humungus Member

they sell bananas at baseball games?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He said he picked it up from a "catering cart." That isn't inconceivable as they are always walking food around, but it would be a hell of a throw if he just picked it up and threw all in one motion.

http://www.joesbananahammock.com/

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe he won the banana at a carnival after throwing away his life savings.

Wonder how that guy is doing now.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

[/quote]

Not really. I can see him getting pissed just as the cart with some bananas is nearby, and he just grabs one and chucks it as far as he can in frustration as he walks away, and it just happens to land near a black player. I think everyone has done something in the heat of being pissed that they didn't think twice about.

I honestly tend to believe the story, and I'm usually pretty cynical about these kinds of stories of people doing something stupid and hiding from it or covering it up. Like the original poster said, this seems too smart. I think if it had been racially motivated, he'd just try to hide. But since it's not, he can come out and say, "Look, I got pissed and threw a banana. It's just an unfortunate coincidence where it landed."

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I recall a story from the late 1970s of Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Dave Parker claiming a fan threw batteries at him. That would seem to be even more dangerous.

I don't condone throwing anything at anyone, but the fact it happened to be a banana instead of, say, an apple or orange, really makes no difference.

As for the athletes themselves, they've got to learn to show some restraint when it comes to unruly fans. In the movie "42: the Jackie Robinson Story", Robinson was the subject of all sorts of taunts and such when he broke into baseball and showed tremendous restraint at those who wanted to bully him.

Draft saved Draft deleted