1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan that threw a banana at Adam Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Aug 12, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The fan that threw the banana is claiming he didn't have racist intent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_23844386/giants-apologize-orioles-adam-jones-banana-thrown

I've come to the the conclusion, after thinking about it after a while, that his story is too much of a leap of faith.

To take that leap, you must believe that these two facts are coincidences...

1. Steal a banana (the only fruit I know of that is associated with an insult to African-Americans), 2. Throw banana on the field in the direction of the only black player on the field.

I find it much more plausible that, in fear of being identified by video or a witness (which I'm amazed hasn't happened yet), he wanted to get out in front of the story.

But what throws me off, is that this would be a very shrewd and intelligent move, which doesn't fall in line with someone that would throw something on the field.

Not a matter of huge importance, I guess, but was wondering what others thought.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Listen, San Francisco, don't make me come out there. /Wright Thompson

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9338962/when-beautiful-game-turns-ugly

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had just figured that the Rays were in Oakland that day and Luke Scott ventured over to see his old team play.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know, for a fan to come forward and use his name? Knowing that story will come up everytime someone Googles his name for years? I think I'd do the same thing if I was in that situation. Apologize profusely ASAP and hope people move on.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if he threw a watermelon at him, you would have been fine with it?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have to spell out the difference to you. A banana is uniquely different.

Throwing a watermelon, or in another stereotype, a piece of fried chicken, would reflect on the perception that's what African-Americans like to eat, not equate them to an animal or sub-human.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SnarkShark didn't see what was so funny when Michael Scott hit Stanley's car with a watermelon.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Plus, it's probably tougher to sneak a watermelon into a game than it is a banana.

Unless you ask your girlfriend to do it ... ;)

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was joking.

The idea of having, and trying to throw, a watermelon at a baseball game is absurd.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes, a banana is just a banana.[/oldschoolsnl]

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the guy had thrown a watermelon that far, he'd be starting for the Giants tomorrow. Even the banana might get him a tryout.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Anna.

Draft saved Draft deleted