1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan for hire...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And I know how you feel.

It made my blood curdle when the Packers signed Keith Millard at the end of his line. It was infinitely worse when they got ex-Bear Steve "Asshole" McMichael a few years later. Then it hit critical mass when Jim McMahon was Favre's backup on the Super Bowl team, though thankfully, I don't think he ever took a snap.

Edit: Crap! McMahon did make a few brief appearances in a Packers' uniform. Yuck.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

On a serious note -- not that Nate Poole didn't seriously earn his key to the city :D -- I felt kind of the same way when Tom Glavine signed with the hated Mets.

I justified it to myself by saying I was only rooting for the player, not the team, and only for him to pitch well and get the win. The minute that Looper, Wagner, et al, blew the lead for him (as they did 13 times in his first three seasons in New York), I was off the hook.

But man, those were five LONG years.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Rosie and family have come to a decision.

[​IMG]

And Packers Nation rejoices along with its team!! ;D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The closest approximation for me was when Marcus Allen became a Chief after a decade with the Raiders.

Of course, Al Davis spent five years prior to that actively trying to screw Marcus Allen by telling coaches not to play him . . . and the feud did give us the classic Monday Night Football moment when Al Davis responded to criticisms by saying "Marcus very sneakedly undermined my authority . . . and he'll always have that asterisk next to his name."

Then it led to the same hushed, serious tone question from Cris Collinsworth every time the Raiders played the Chiefs: "When you go to the Hall of Fame . . . which jersey will you be wearing?"

"Oh, I'll be a Chief!"

Then Marcus made his peace with the Raiders before getting inducted anyway.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Plenty of company if you join SteelersSportsJournalists.com, too. Plus, adding another Steelers fan would bug BYH. Isn't that alone a worthwhile goal?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rosie, might I suggest the Giants.

A classy franchise (that is, when their receivers don't shoot themselves) with a glorious history and they will be moving into a new stadium next year that they've paid half for by themselves (the Jets paid the other half) without using taxpayer money.

Come on, you know you want to bleed Giant blue.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Adding my voice to the chorus:

Come on over to Packer Nation, Rosie. Up-and-coming team with an up-and-coming quarterback. We're going places, and the Vikings will regret this decision by midseason.

Plus, it's going to be fun to watch Nick Barnett slam Brat Favre's drama-queen ass to the turf.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was the same way when the L.A. Rams bolted for St. Louis. Sundays just aren't the same anymore.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What pisses me off is I saw your post this morning and didn't think of lobbing the grenade until just now..

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Asking me to be a Packer fan, I just don't know that I can do it - although it would make trips to see the family in Wisconsin a little easier.

I'm still entertaining offers....

Oh, and guys? I am shaking my head at your obliviousness. Has it struck any of you who post that clip of that IDIOT Paul Allen's call - I haven't responded to posts of it in more than two years.

Because Paul Allen is an idiot and it just doesn't matter, it was so long ago.

12. Patriots Nation?

Draft saved Draft deleted