1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan falls out of second deck at Arlington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brian, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just thought of that Reggie Jackson/fat woman scene from Naked Gun for some reason.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's why I'm thinking he fell out of one of the suites.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Horrible shot, I know, but look along the first base suites. Looks like 20 or maybe 25 feet from the mezzanine (above the suites) to the lower bowl. Certainly not 30. (and, thankfully, not -30- either, if you know what I mean.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

FB - I still think more like 30, but I will give you that I'm horrible at estimating distances straight up.

The YouTube video mb linked to has a comment that says "fell from the top, bounced off the suite level, landed in the bottom legs first." which is... ick.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That bounce is probably what saved him. That, plus the four fans he landed on.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Landing legs first, with people to break the fall, is the best you can hope for in that situation.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was gonna say, I remember this happening at an Angels-Mariners game in the late 80s. It was tragic. A woman fell from the upper deck and landed on Reggie Jackson. Right in front of the Queen of England (who, ironically, happens to be in the country right now; if this had happened at the Mets game tonight it would've been off the charts).

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often ... especially when beer gets thrown into the mix. Remember that Red Sox-Yankees game about 10 years ago, where a drunk fan "fell" onto the backstop?

I have a recording of a 1975 MNF game between the Giants and Bills, and during the third quarter a fan actually crawled along a suspended cable that held up the screen for field goals. He had to have been 50 feet or more above the crowd - and was obviously inebriated. The ABC cameras showed this, and Gifford, Cosell and Karras wondered aloud if it was Philippe Petit.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a Packers-Bears Monday nighter in the late 90s where a fan jumped out of the stands behind the goalpost and caught a field goal in midair. Guy probably fell 20 feet and wasn't hurt, although he was obviously more in control of his fall than this guy tonight was.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

11. mb

mb Active Member

I'll give the Phils fans credit for waiting until word that the guy was apparently OK to bust out with:

--Assuming he dropped the ball upon impact, it's fair game to take, right? i'm not sure what the rules are in that case.
    --Depends on whether he established possession before he dropped it. if so, it's his ball.
    --Did he make a football related move?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good thing Brayon Edwards was not there to catch him

Draft saved Draft deleted