1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan dies from fall at Rangers game (Warning: Video link)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but do you sue the Rangers for complying with city code or do you sue the city of Arlington for having shitty codes?

This set up passed city code inspections. Though I'm sure somebody at Arlington City Hall is looking for a way to retroactively fail them.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. Ryan just said on the stadium used to have a hard covering (I believe he used "decking") over that gap but people would hop over the railing to try and get foul balls or home runs that sat there, and they thought it increased the risk. So they removed to stop that practice.

I can't imagine there will be a lawsuit that succeeds because the railing is there and it's 30 inches or so high at that point. Without wanting to sound crass, if someone ignores the railing and leans so far over that their center of balance goes over, that's not the railings fault. It's not like it was a secret there was a fairly large drop on the other side.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We have some lawyers on here. I bet you could get a juicy settlement.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

You warn someone not to lean over a rail. They do it.
    You warn people that the coffee you serve may be hot. They spill it.

If these aren't frivolous suits, then what are?

5. Chris17

Chris17 Member

BREAKING

At a press conference just now, Texas Rangers owner Nolan Ryan announced a few things:

-The Texas Rangers Foundation is setting up a memorial fund for the fan and his family.
    - Both the Rangers and A's will wear black ribbon patches at tonight's to honor the fan who passed.

Additionally, reports are that Mr. Stone's widow has asked that media not show or circulate the video of the incident. Also, the Rangers organization is offering grief counseling to players if desired.

Josh Hamilton may not play tonight.

Let's all remember - through our posting and getting ready for our own games tonight - to say a quick prayer.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Obviously the McDonald's suit wasn't frivolous, since an enormous verdict was awarded.

If you want to blame anybody, blame McDonald's' lawyers. They had a chance to settle for almost nothing early on, and they took it to trial. I understand why you have to do that sometimes, to prevent free shots against a corporation, but not when you can settle for next to nothing.

I'm no pal of plaintiff's lawyers, in general. But don't toss "frivolous" around so lightly.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is quickly becoming one of the classier organizations in baseball, adeptly handling this not long after drafting the paralyzed kid from Georgia.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

I can picture this...should the Rangers make the postseason...or perhaps Opening Day....at least offering the boy a chance to throw out the first ball.Would that be awkward or a good thing?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nolan Ryan is classy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

..... You warn McDonald's that they are serving coffee to customers that is dangerously hot and they don't change until someone is seriously burned and sues the pants off them.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

This man smiles.

[​IMG]

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm sorry the guy died. But I don't see how the team, or the stadium, can be held liable for his stupidity.

What, exactly, would constitute reasonable precautions? Barbed-wire fence?

I remember some years ago (late 1990s, maybe) a railing at a stadium in Philadelphia collapsed and a lot of fans leaning against it fell down onto a field below. That strikes me as different. It's one thing to expect a railing to support a reasonable amount of weight, quite another for a railing to prevent someone from jumping over it.

Draft saved Draft deleted