1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan dies from fall at Rangers game (Warning: Video link)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 8, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Another Kansas City alum does well. GREAT piece, Jeff.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Moral of the story: Don't lean over railings. They are there to protect you. Respect them. If someone leans over a railing and falls, I suspect they would fall if there was a net there or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That was outstanding.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jones contemplates the infinitesimal amount of What Ifs that led up to that moment. Heartbreaking.

http://tinyurl.com/3ggzaf3

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy dying trying for the ball : men :: Caylee Anthony acquittal : women

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The man's mother said that he told her before the game that they were going to try for a ball, and had stopped to buy the little boy a glove beforehand:

http://m.nypost.com/;s=nCAfQq0xoOx2tUgh7mBb321/p/news/national/baseball_fan_dies_after_falling_tBxB3Mtt970HuMkLKvVPlI

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was just going to post that I don't the level of outrage over the Casey Anthony verdict but this story makes me sick to my stomach with a layer of dread.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

blue font?

It appears the A's broadcast crew (Glenn Kuiper and Ray Fosse) are taking a beating over their description of the incident on Comcast Sports Net Calif. According to a tweet at sfgate.com/sports, they won't be making a response. I don't watch that many A's games but know they like like to keep it light ... and how the hell would they know at the time it would turn so tragic?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the video, I don't think the broadcasters were that bad. Toward the end of the clip they said they were hoping the guy was OK. No way they could have known. Did they say anything else later in the game?

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, as tasteless as the call seems at the moment, they're not psychic and likely didn't realize quite how far that fall was at the time. I can't fault them for giggling a little bit about it on air at the end because hell, I usually do when someone falls over the first-base railing to go after a foul ball.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have a feeling there's going to be a lawsuit over this and MLB will be forced into rule changes. The Rangers will have to close the gap and Selig will have to institute some rule about throwing a ball in the stands. It won't be an over reaction

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the recent Thomas Lake SI piece on Darrent Williams' murder, theme-wise. Wonder if Jones read it. I think Lake has gone to that well at other times, too. (Hope "well" doesn't sound perjorative. I like it as a narrative technique.)

Draft saved Draft deleted