1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan death at Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Alex Flanagan just reported it on NBC.

Fell from the upper deck. I thought she said "onto the street." So maybe he fell off the back of the stadium?

Twenty years old.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

That's just sad...RIP

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jesus. And a week after the toddler death at Staples.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Chicago Tribune is reporting witnesses said the man jumped.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/20-year-old-fan-falls-to-death-at-soldier-field.html

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you are at a sporting event and consuming alcohol, stay away from the railings in the upper deck. Too easy to lose your balance.

What moron brings a 2-year-old to a sporting event to begin with?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mark, I agree, but if you are in a luxury box, and pay the big money for it, you have a little more freedom to bring who you like.

In the stands, I agree 100 percent.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Just a second. You're universally a moron if you bring a 2-year-old to a sporting event? Or just an NFL game?

8. 93Devil

A minor league baseball game, I would give a toddler a try because you can walk the kid out easily if they melt down and you are not out too much coin.

But an NFL game? Is that really the environment you want a kid? And are you ready to walk out if the kid wants to go? If your kid is melting down, it is not fair to those around you.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Also, children mature at different paces. There are some toddlers who can handle things such as sporting events, and others who can't. Calling a parent a moron for bringing one is stupid in my opinion. My question is do you have kids or have you raised any?

10. 93Devil

Can you not see my avatar?

I understand about the shut-in nature, but hiring a sitter would be about the same amount as the ticket for the kid.

And start small like minor league baseball or a high school football game instead of going for the larger events.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

My parents took me to pro events when I was 2. I did the same with my kids. I didn't have any problems either as a kid or a parent. (It was as an adult when there were issues but that's for another thread).
    But seriously, it really does depend on the maturity level of your child.
    Also, I've seen more people act like idiots at minor league games than almost any other venture.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sounds like a speech Lucas Anthony Tang's parents might have given on their way out the door to the Laker game.

Draft saved Draft deleted