1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Newspeople Who Are Really Bad at Their Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Eddie Robinson at Grambling put more players in the NFL than any other college coach in history. He also coached his last game in 1997.

Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Deacon Jones, Bob Hayes yeah yeah yeah, HBCU’s were nasty back in the day. That was also a LONG time ago. The nature of college football has changed almost 360 degrees. We gonna bring back Carlisle Indian Academy too?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not sure Laura Ingraham is 'newspeople'

RonClements and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You really lost any credibility when you dissed Fergie, who is the best national AP writer around. And he mentions Tiger because readers and AP sports editors want to know.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll throw Michael Barbaro of The Daily in there. I'm sure he's a solid journo - but he sounds more like a therapist or social worker in his interviews and the pauses when he's formulating a question drive me nuts. What is worse, a lot of his co-workers have begun speaking in the same way..

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Should Jemele Hill work for Jet or Ebony?

Sports Barf likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is Jemele Hill bad at her job in her role as a writer of viewpoint pieces or does she just espouse views you strongly disagree with?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Patrick Cantley is the fourth leading winner so far this year on the PGA tour. Tiger Woods is 24th.

What article would draw more hits assuming they were from same tournament:

"Cantley Leads by Two Shots Entering Final Round" or "Tiger Shoots 68, Trails by Four Shots".

Sometimes you have to give the people what they want.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Your parallel doesn't really hold.

The audience for college football is majority white.

Not so for the readership of either of those titles.

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

All I can say is that if she wants to write about HBCUs, can she help me out with the volleyball and golf stories I need to crank out today?

Yeah, she has some points about blowing up the status quo...but I havent seen her at a game in Orangeburg SC or a Classic...so I will listen to other journalists first

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Her idea has merit, but her argument bringing forth the idea was pretty dang strange, putting a great deal of the onus on the athletes themselves - teenagers - then using the model of Fab Five, who committed to play at a school that, you know, had just won the national title three years prior, as some kind of revolutionary act. It wasn't. Michigan basketball was terrific and had been for two decades - certainly better than any school in Texas. There was no risk to joining Chris Webber in a recruiting class at one of the great universities and campuses in America. (Webber, of course, was getting paid off anyway.)

A more compelling argument calls for the HBCUs to end their relationship with the NCAA, immediately compensate athletes for NIL, let the shoe companies steer players to HBCUs, and create a new market.

My sense is Jemele Hill knows so much more about sports than anyone else at The Atlantic that there isn't an editor available to navigate the argument better. The day the piece came out, Bomani Jones on High Noon gave a more cogent argument in about 5 minutes. While I just like Jones more than I like Hill, he's also got a dozen smart sports minds at his disposal at ESPN.

RonClements likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

She is asking players who have potential for great athletic careers to give it up for a cause that she seems unwilling to do. Thats my problem.

Would she ask the top professional black athletes to stop playing in the NFL, NBA and MLB to form their own leagues with black or minority ownership? Now that would change things.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted