1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Last Words, or "Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, May 25, 2007.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I know that as the great humanitarian I am, I probably should give a shit about how long it took to execute this dude, but instead I'm more intrigued by his last words:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/25/ohio.execution.ap/index.html

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- Death penalty opponents called on the state to halt executions after prison staff struggled to find suitable veins on a condemned man's arm to deliver the lethal chemicals.

The execution team stuck Christopher Newton at least 10 times with needles Thursday to insert the shunts where the chemicals are injected.

He died at 11:53 a.m., nearly two hours after the scheduled start of his execution at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The process typically takes about 20 minutes. ...

[T]he only thing Newton said in the death chamber was: "Yes, boy, I could sure go for some beef stew and a chicken bone. That's it."

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Don't know how you can be flippant when you're about to die, but he was. Strange.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You only cover us when it takes 10 tries to kill a guy!!!!

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

May I please have some more? Injections and gruel, please.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Post of the year.

Lock it down.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank you sir.

Are you OK? You haven't chimed in on the Poindexter thread in 24 seconds.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm fine, I just let a homeless drifter into the nl;dfkagk,mdVS?DC>X?Z>x...............................

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Best final words from 1992:

Bunch gave a six-minute speech before his execution in which he commented on society's treatment of the poor, the elderly and criminals, and thanked his family and Ms. Thomas' family for their letters seeking clemency.
    "To tell you the truth, I wanted this to be a filibuster," Bunch said toward the end, "but I think it's time for me to shut up. As Steve Martin said, 'Comedy is not pretty."'

It wasn't pretty, given he was put to death via the electric chair. Luckily, his motion was denied asking not to be required to wear the death mask so his execution could be videotaped to show the cruel nature of his execution.

Didn't need to see the exploding eyeballs. The smoke from underneath the mask was enough.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My God, that story was even weirder than the tease.

But Newton, who had had insisted on the death penalty as punishment and made no attempt to appeal, chatted and laughed with prison staff throughout the delay. It took so long that the staff paused to allow Newton a bathroom break.

Can you picture that? "You guys haven't found it yet?" "No we haven't." "Oh you silly bastards!" *hysterical laughter*

And what's the deal with the bathroom break? Wasn't he going to empty his bowels soon enough?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, really. "Uh, can you guys hang on a minute? I gotta piss like a racehorse."

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, another vote for post o' the year.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, if they let him go then..less mess to clean up.

Draft saved Draft deleted