1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family Secrets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 8, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm much more interested in Lindsay Lohan than I am $250K.

Which is probably a warning sign for my mental health.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This thread really needs freqposter...

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Bah. That's my lack of New York knowledge coming into play here. It was in Lower Manhattan then, because I've been to address where this store once stood and it's firmly entrenched in Chinatown today.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, so you DON'T remember the night that Mr. Excitement and I .... well, never mind, if you don't, I sure ain't dredging it up.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Coming back to the thread after most of a day away, a couple thoughts did strike me:

1) Regarding my mother's hand-wringing over whether her parents got married because they "had to," I would make a couple guesses:

a) My mother was born 8 months and 27 days after her parents got married. Pregnancy tests in the 1930s did not exist to detect pregnancy in the first month or so, so my grandparents certainly did not have time toe decide they HAD to get married. It was a full church wedding with flowers and choirs and everything, not something that could be thrown together in five days. Much more likely, I would bet, is my mother was a "honeymoon baby."

b) Both her parents came from considerable money, the families knew each other, and they had "seen" each other socially for several years. Both of them were "orphaned," in financial terms, in 1927-28 when the last of their respective parents died, they took over the estates, and probably figured they could live as "adults of leisure." When Wall Street went bust in October 1929 my guess is they both were considerably brought down in financial status, and heading into middle-age, probably figured that was as good a time as any to take the plunge, and so they got married in February 1930, and along came my mom in December.

2) The nearest thing I can find to "shameful" in my family history is that my maternal grandmother's family has quite an extensive history of suing each other (sibling vs. sibling), and this has resulted in a couple branches of the family basically completely breaking off -- moved completely across the country and essentially broke off contact. As a slightly weird by-product of this, I now have an 80-year-old third cousin, who I have never met and never heard of until 6-8 months ago, persistently e-mailing me, demanding to know "where the money went."

The answer of course is, "I don't know where it is, but I can tell you where it isn't." ::) ::) ::)

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She's not family, but intriguing secrets nonetheless.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Let's see.

My uncle (he was adopted) did 25 years in state prison for raping and almost killing a woman.

My great grandfather was in the KKK.

My distant ancestors (we're talking British colonial times) once wiped out an entire tribe of Indians. They kept a journal of it, so we actually have it in writing.

You know, the usual.

8. spikechiquet

Not my family secret...but I am sure it has been hidden by her since:

When I was in college, I needed a 3rd roomie and asked this girl I had met over the summer that was going to be an incoming freshman if she wanted to move in. She was pretty cute...an athlete at the local high school that I met somehow (I think it was through a few mutual friends from various places) and she was looking for a place to live that wasn't her parents house.
    I moved in, hoping it meant an easy chance to score with a hottie. She was awesome to live with when she (let's call her Allyson) first moved in...always running around half naked in the house, cooking for us and was fun to shoot the shit with as well.
    Well, she met a guy on campus (let's name him Shaun) and started to fuck around with him. She "fell in love" with him and finally went to introduce him to her parents after a month or so...
    Mom and dad's faces go ashen when he walks in the door. It turns out the dad and his brother didn't get along well and never talked. Shaun's dad and Allyson's dad were THOSE BROTHERS!
    She was fucking HER FIRST COUSIN!!!
    Now...a normal person would stop contact, be ashamed and walk away from the "relationship."
    Nope...not her. She convinced him to stay together. Mind you...she was a hottie and liked to put out.
    Me and my other roomie knew what was going on and had no clue how to handle it. She told me about the sex they had, how good it was and she liked to draw nude sketches of him. She even went and looked up the odds of them having a retarded baby if she got pregnant! I just had to laugh...so wrong.
    Anyway, Shaun wises up and dumps Allyson cause, well...IT'S HIS COUSIN!!!
    She goes BAT-SHIT CRAZY!
    Mind you, this is a Friday night. My other roomie is a freelancer for the local paper and he was out covering a high school football game. I was home that night with my cousin (I'm adopted, and I love her...but would NOT sleep with her, mind you) and we were just sitting in my room drinking and shooting the shit.
    Allyson is on the phone with Shaun crying and pleading not to break up. I am filling my cousin in on all this and she is laughing like crazy.
    I have a straight shot, line-of-sight from my bedroom into the kitchen. Allyson is on the phone...HOLDING A BUTCHER KNIFE while yelling at Shaun. To punctuate her points she is making...she is slashing and stabbing with the knife in the air.
    My cousin and I take that as a cue to GTFO of the house. We walk down to a pizza place to get some chow.
    While we are gone, my other roommate came home from the football game and was writing his gamer in the living room, right next to the kitchen. He told Allyson to STFU and to go in her room while we are gone...instead, she went to her bathroom. Mind you...she took the knife with HER!
    My roomie said Allyson was crying for a while...then it went silent.
    Oh, great...my crazy cousin-fucking rommate just killed herself. Does that mean I get straight As for the semester?!
    Nope, she finally came out of the bathroom...went to her bedroom and the next morning...moved out while we were sleeping.
    I have never have seen her again. Found her on facebook..she went into the military and is married and lives out of the state now. I'm sure that story is not shared to her new husband (maybe a cousin on mom's side?! LOL)

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well? ... Is she still a hottie? :)

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. You win

11. spikechiquet

Yup, but still has crazy eyes.

I didn't know what crazy eyes were until after this debacle. Now I know which ones to stay away from.

12. Uh, No.. He's from Kentucky.. That's shit regular. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted