1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family-owned papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, May 27, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And with a sports editor with a head so shiny, I can see my reflection... ;)

(Psst... I knew what you meant)

2. Both papers I have worked at -- the Tyler Morning Telegraph in Tyler, Texas, and The Oklahoman -- are both family owned.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There are many good family-owned papers. However the one family-owned paper I worked at, which shall remain nameless, was the worst experience of my life.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

South Bend Tribune is family-owned (technically, it's the flagship of a small family-owned chain). One could do worse.

5. trench

trench Member

Most weeklies are family-owned, and many weeklies are thriving. Weeklies are actually the cockroaches of the business, and I mean that in a good way. They will survive the internet age because they're 100% local and include very little that can be found online.

6. Two of the three papers I've worked for are family owned. Both were easily much better to work for than the one chain.

Obviously, there are some family papers that are going to be lousy, but outside of the New York Times, I would say the best family paper is probably better than the best chain, especially now.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The (Greenwood, S.C.) Index-Journal is family owned. And it's great.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Despite some recent cutbacks in Newark, there is a lot of good to be said for the Newhouse family-owned chain.

9. Great? Really?

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Yep. I can't speak for the past, but I have no complaints.

11. Oh, I personally haven't heard anything bad but I'm quite familiar with Greenwood. I just never thought I would have heard the word 'great' associated with it. :)

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Outside of "great, we're in Greenwood again"?

Draft saved Draft deleted