1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family-owned papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, May 27, 2008.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It seems like there are still a few papers out there doing it the right way, but it also seems like most of them are family-owned shops where the management is answering to stock holders. So what are some of the good family-owned papers left out there?

The Free Lance-Star in Frederickburg, Va. is one. So are the Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer and the Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World. Any others?

2. I believe the Vancouver (Wash.) Columbian and the Charleston (S.C.) Post-Gazette are both family owned as well.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

The Spokane Spokesman-Review is family owned, but I don't know that you'd describe it as well run. Lots of layoffs, family adores the bottom line.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ditto the Seattle Times, the family of which (the Blethens) also owns the Portland Press-Herald and smaller papers in Maine.

And Fletch, it's the Post and Courier in Charleston.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard about the trouble in Spokane, but it seems like for the most part the family-run papers aren't slashing as much as the chains. I guess that's why I started the thread, because in a lot of ways some of these places seem like dream gigs these days.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think Anniston is still family owned

7. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

It's on the smaller side, but the Press Enterprise in Bloomsburg, Pa., is one of the most solid family-owned papers around.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is, but that doesn't mean it does anything right ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True dat...

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hungry Horse News?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. But the Omaha World Herald is employee-owned.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I meant that from a management standpoint, not in terms of the sports staff, which does a lot with limited resources ...

Draft saved Draft deleted