1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family killed UPDATE: Driver gets 43 years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: A sobering thought on New Year's Eve: Update

What about the Taco Bell? Good that they called the police, but shouldn't they have some sort of plan if a drunk comes through to delay him? Perhaps not because it'd be hard to prove someone's actually drunk without a breathalyzer, but still.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Well, since the bar is on Toledo's notorious East Side, then it probably is....(just joking, folks.) It's not RICO, but I'm sure that there are laws out there that say that bar owners can be held liable in cases like these.

The TOL is my hometown....and, yes, my heart did skip a beat when I heard this story, as my brother commutes on that stretch of Interstate.

And the drunk was able to wrong-way it for four miles, across a big ol' suspension bridge and all the way through downtown Toledo? How is the Toledo police going to explain that one to Mayor Carty?

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I beg to differ. Each time a driver reaches for another drink and knows there is a car outside with his/her name on it, means another decision to try and kill people with a car.

In 5 minutes, I have the duty. I hope everybody behaves.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

They didn't

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I agree with you, that getting sauced while your car is out front is stupid.

But the actual act of killing someone was not premeditated. It's the standard often used for first-degree murder charges.

I think we both agree that he can be tied to the bumper of a stock car and experience a bird's-eye view of Daytona International Speedway during a Cup race, though.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They might have tried to delay him, the story didn't really say. I can't imagine them not trying to delay this guy, calling the cops knowing he was drunk.

7. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I have to admit, I nearly teared up reading this story. All I can think is this bastard needs to be kicked through the goal posts of hell. Life in prison with no hope of parole should be his punishment, along with having the photos of what he did posted in his cell.

He should go high in the prison "draft" I hear Big Buck in Cell D has the first pick....he needs fresh meat.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, bro.

What an asshole...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

The face of the accident

Solid job by The Blade; this paragraph stands out:
    Chief Spann said Mr. Gagnon was aware the accident caused the deaths, and was uncooperative and belligerent when he spoke with investigators.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080101/NEWS03/679529958

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:'(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm in the life in prison camp. Could never, regardless of situation, want to see somebody die. Life in prison, isolated from anybody and anything outside of a huge picture of the family, would be worse I suspect.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you for posting that photo, 2MCM.

Thank you for posting that graph, Slappy. Shows what a sad, sad bastard this man is, to refuse -- once he's (presumably) sobered up -- to cooperate with the investigation, even though he knew he killed five innocent civilians.

Draft saved Draft deleted