1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family histories, trees, stories, etc., compilation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 17, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great thread. I love genealogy and family history.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a consuming activity that can become an obsession. When I started dealing with graveyards and death certificates and medical histories, I had to take a deep breath and walk away for a little bit. I went from not knowing to knowing too much.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Like, stuff you wish you didn't know, or it just became too big an undertaking?

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I hear you. I found things I didn't expect.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What MH said.

When you see cardiac arrhythmia pop up several times, you're pretty much investigating your own likely cause of death.

Bouts with alcoholism. Extramarital affairs. Vague criminal histories. Things that aren't so rosy or tidy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great stuff and thank you for sharing.

My last name is a phonetic spelling from Ellis Island of my original last name. My grandpa just did not know English to correct the officials working. Just like the scene from The Godfather II. There is no one in the world with my family's last name.

I may give the ancestry.com thing a whirl after your story.

Draft saved Draft deleted