1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family Guy spin-off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Feb 29, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Is the "Cleveland/Loretta Quagmire" the one where he's in the barber shop quintet singing "You've Got Aids". That scene goes from uncomfortable to stupid to downright hilarious in about 90 seconds.

2. statrat

statrat Member

There have been some moments. If FG can ever get back to the Stewie as evil genius baby plotline (which they did with that two-parter this year) and less Stewie is gay baby plotline I think it would be more consistently funny

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

"You've ... Got ... The ... Aids."

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I could never understand how FG can be so funny (95 percent of the time) when American Dad does absolutely nothing for me.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

American Dad has grown on me, but convincing my wife to watch 30 minutes of McFarlene is usually tough enough.

And the scene where Peter, Chris, Stewie and Brian have an ipacac-drinking competition is one of the funniest things ever. Last one to yack gets to eat a pie!

"Peter Peter: Hold my ears!"

Not as good of course as when Elmer Fudd finally shoots Bugs Bunny.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

what's the deal with the word "whilst"
    that is like the fifth or sixth time I have seen that in wire copy today.
    Its usage raises new and troubling questions

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll contemplate that whilst I watch this game.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Family Guy is 5 percent win, 95 percent fail on most nights. It was okay early, then after about three episodes it became glaringly obvious that they ran out of plots and tricks, so they beat their one-off jokes like a horse with Hitler's spirit.

The vaudeville pair, Greased-Up Naked Deaf Guy, the old pervert getting episodes where he's a major player and that goddamned overwrought random chicken fight? Fail. Ridiculous increase in non sequiturs? Fail. Going from subtle digs at Meg being plain to I HATE MEG GRIFFITH WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING I HOPE SHE DIES? Fail. Callbacks for the sake of callbacks? Fail. The non-joke that derives its alleged humor from repetition or being extremely drawn out (Stowe takes 67 seconds of the show to board a flight to Los Angeles to hit Will Ferrell for making a Clippers joke in Bewitched)? Fail fail f-by god-ail. Oh, wait, I forgot, it's meta, so every bad joke is really an ironic self-statement that shows us how well it gets itself, wink wink nudge nudge. In that case -- FUCKING FAIL.

Mercy Kill American Dud, focus on bringing the show's tight spiral from the first season or two back and pray like hell this Cleveland spinoff either gains traction quick or dies quicker, otherwise FG won't get any better, and I damn sure won't bother.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I second this review.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You need to be a little more clear how you feel on this issue, Meat.

And I'm sorry but the chicken bit is funny as hell.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love Family Guy and don't quite understand the hate for it.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The chicken bit is almost the perfect microcosm of Family Guy at its best and failest. The first time you didn't know it was coming and it was funny. The second time ... okay, it's somewhat funny, but completely pointless (we forget that the first chicken fight was part of a flashback about a bad experience with a chicken back when the writers didn't have an itchy flashback button finger, so at least there was a faint context for it). The third one was ... wtf? They're eating dinner together? The chicken man has a wife? Hey, wasn't this episode supposed to be about something?

Family Guy is following the path of Police Academy movies. I shudder to think what that means for its seventh season.

Draft saved Draft deleted