1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family Guy season premieré

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bruce Leroy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Me neither, but last night's American Dad seemed more bearable, maybe because they stayed away from politics almost completely. And the plot was creative and well-executed. That alien is really funny.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Boom goes the dynamite. ha!

Funny episode.

Stewie to Brian: "You shoulda hit that when you had the chance, bro" ... haha!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks KY. I've seen most of the Robot Chicken clips online, but never seen the whole thing.

Watching them in order of air date (Robot Chicken first) would make Peter's debate with Chris at the end of Blue Harvest even funnier.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not sure which one's first, but I've only seen bits and pieces of Robot Chicken's version.

Can't decide which one's funnier.

5. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

For my money, the Robot Chicken stuff was clearly funnier. BH was hit and miss, though there were some really funny lines. Robot Chicken, however, was stellar throughout.

6. Family Guy is the Pedro Martinez of TV shows. The best days are long gone.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

"It's amazing how you went straight from black to white without that Hispanic step in the middle"

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ugh. Coming from a guy who usually doesn't miss a Family Guy, that episode sounds positively full of fail. Take the nearly laugh-free Blue Harvest and add in the execrable Giant Chicken? Yuck.

9. KYSportsWriter

Re: Family Guy season premieré

You didn't like the fight scenes?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No way. I see those 1999-2001 episodes, and aside from a couple of classics (Peter's drunken piano playing, for instance), it's weak and its plots and characters flounder around limply. Tries way too hard to be like the Simpsons, with oafish, yet ultimately nice and lovable, father figure. The "Stewy wants to kill Mommy!!" stuff is funny for about five minutes.

Now, the show has its own niche, and is hilarious. Making Meg persona non grata, pairing Stewy and Brian, Peter being an unabashed idiot (amusingly, Homer Simpson has been written this way more and more in recent years) . . . . great show.

As for Blue Harvest: a work of genius if you're a Star wars dork who noted some of the plot holes yourself prior to Family Guy shining a spotlight on them. The Robot Chicken Star wars was great too, but not AS good. More hit and miss, especially since half of it was old sketches.

The Empire strikes back episode should be pretty good. I hope Bertram is Yoda.

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

So he insults the newer shows. You counter by insulting the older shows. Is this a political board?

12. KYSportsWriter

Re: Family Guy season premieré

Family Guy should be treated as different shows: The new era, when Fox brought it back, and the old era, when the pictures of Chris, Meg and Stewie in the background during the intro are just blobs instead of actual drawings.

... Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted