1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family Guy and Simpsons, so hilarious with the rape jokes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 24, 2014.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'd sue the other ISIS for copyright infringement.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

We need to defeat ISIS to protect Seth's right to hang out on the edge.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Seth MacFarlane has nothing to do with Archer. Different show, different network.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think he said that right before they gave him that $100 million a year deal. I truly think he's phoning it in, and as long as he gets solid ratings, Fox is fine with it. I'm sure syndication dollars are just crazy high and with McFarlane doing so many of the voices, it's probably not as expensive to do as The Simpsons.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I watched a new episode of either show. I will probably watch this one though.

5. spikechiquet

I really only watch FG because of loyalty. It's fodder for my after-work routine. It is over-the-top for the most part...but I still watch, but pretty sure I can't recall much of the episode the next day.
    Why do I still watch? Nostalgia I guess.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Weird to think about - Family Guy just finished season 12, and I don't really think there were any standout episodes that were among the series' best. Although most people seem in agreement that The Simpsons' best seasons were the first eight or nine, even stuff like "I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can" and "Large Marge" was still being produced into season 14.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yes, you both nailed it. Family Guy was good the first few years before the cancellation, but now it's just how many zany, offensive, far-reaching things can we cram into an episode, regardless if there's any storyline or not. The plots used to be a lot better and there was some clever humour there.

I'm reminded of the South Park where everyone kept telling Cartman he'd like Family Guy and Parker and Stone used him to show the differences between the two shows and slam Family Guy. While I'll be the first to admit that some South Parks are huge, huge reaches and some miss the mark, its writers usually tie everything together and often hit the mark with their social commentary. Smart, smart, smart. Ditto with the Simpsons most of the time. Family Guy, on the other hand, has moved to the lowest common denominator big time. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I don't necessarily remember episodes of Family Guy as I do remember some of the jawdropping lines.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Archer may be the funniest TV show on the air right now.

10. spikechiquet

True. I think The League was hovering up there for a while, but it's lost it's fastball. I can't wait for Archer to come back. With Family Guy, I'm sort of "eh, I'll watch it." when I see it DVR'd.

11. RecoveringJournalist

In a related story, Liam Neeson has been added to the cast in Ted 2.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I wonder how much some of that has to do with a slight shift in direction with Family Guy. During the initial run, it was a lot like The Simpsons in the way each episode was self-contained. Other than some character traits and Bart's history with Sideshow Bob, there's never been a whole lot of running plot threads in The Simpsons. Family Guy was much the same for a long time.
    In recent years, though, FG has developed a continuity. It's far from being serialized, but there have been episodes that changed the direction and tone for most of the characters. Instead of being able to do whatever in any given episode, like The Simpsons can, Family Guy's writers have to keep those changes in mind as they plot an episode.
    Just something to ponder.

In any event, American Dad quietly developed into a very solid show. Weird as it sounds in describing a show with a resident space alien and CIA hijinks as major plot points, it's a lot more grounded than Family Guy and often more fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted