1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Families of Flight 93 victims want land seized for memorial...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wow, big heart you have there

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Poin's point was very badly made. But I have a feeling he's taking umbrage to the fact that the government would need to seize people's land to make this happen. There's got to be a better way.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with a monument being built. None whatsoever. But the thought of some dude getting forced off property he owns just because a plane landed in it and just because people he likely didn't know died isn't fair.

You're just making another victim.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can see the government try to make their case that the public would benefit in having a memorial to a historic event, in order to justify them taking the land.

It's not right, of course. But what would you expect from a government whose current president enjoyed the benefits of eminent domain in order to build a baseball stadium.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well said

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't think the case applies here. Kelo v. New London was groundbreaking because it allowed the government to seize land from one private entity and bestow it upon another private entity. Taking land from a private entity for use by the government is much easier to do.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

2,200 acres? Wow. I'd assumed they were talking about 10-15 acres, and the guy was just worried about traffic or something.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2200 acres for this but 2700 for Antietam National Battlefield...

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I understand the need for a memorial, but I've never grasped why there's a need for $58 million worth of a memorial.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

They already did it once.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_the_World_Trade_Center#Controversy

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a lot of good you could do with $58 million in the names of those passengers. Scholarship funds, centers for the sick, hungry, homeless, you name it. I'm not one to say what the victims should want or what they deserve, but some perspective seems missing here.

Draft saved Draft deleted