1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Families of Flight 93 victims want land seized for memorial...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sometimes it's not about money. Is this for a project that will further the greater good or public benefit?
    No. Leave the guy alone.
    Same thing with a roadside memorial; family keeps putting one up, land owner keeps taking it down, family complains... it's the land owners right.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does that Supreme Court case about eminent domain that involved somebody in New London, Conn. apply here?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh for fucks sake, enough of the tributes, memorials, pins, flags and everything else. You got a movie out of it.

Move the fuck on.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've always taken issue with the concept of imminent domain, whether fair compensation is offered or not. This, however, is a difficult case because try as you might, it's difficult to remove the emotional factor.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

I think that would be a stretch. New London won its case because it was able to show that the private developer's project would bring a direct financial benefit to the community. I think it would be hard for the federal government to make the same case.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the compensation is never "fair" it's what the government feels like paying.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

As terrible as I feel about those families' loss, they need to move on. Enough is enough.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I couldn't find an easy answer to this on Google, but can the government use eminent domain to take land to create a national park?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. They gonna do it in lower Manhattan too?

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

it's called "expropriation" and it happens all the time

ever hear of the Tennessee Valley Authority?

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just read the entire story. Are you freaking kidding me? Why on Earth does the memorial need to be 2,200 acres and cost $58-million? If they have that kind of money, go in town, buy an acre or two, erect a statue where they can meet every year, and create a related fund or charity of some sort with the rest of the money. This is absolutely rediculous.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, they own that big sludge pile that's about to contaminate the Tennessee River upstream of Chattanooga....

Draft saved Draft deleted