1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Families of Flight 93 victims want land seized for memorial...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/flight93_memorial

Ok, I understand that a memorial should be built, but what right does the government have to seize this private land? This seems unfair to me. Yes, those who died on Flight 93 should be remembered, but at what point do we draw the line and what about the person who owns this land? How is fair for them to lost what they own without compensation just because a plane landed in it?

What say you?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The government would have to compensate them fairly to use eminent domain. It can't simply take land from someone.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yes, but let's say he doesn't want to sell this land. Let's say it's been in his family for six generations. Can you put a price tag on that? And if so, what's the point of owning land if the government can just take it whenever they feel like it? And for a memorial? A memorial?

A memorial could be erected anywhere. It doesn't have to be at the scene of the crime. This is bull and I just hope the guy who owns this land gets compensated better than he's being treated.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He can be forced to sell, but he has to be given fair value. Your point about sentimental value and not wanting to sell is a good one, though.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Does anyone honestly think the gubment cares about 'sentimental value?'

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

they should just roll on down the road a piece, and build it there.

7. This whole memorial has been bizarre from jump.
    Some wingnut idiots -- hello, Ms. Malkin -- spent three years trying to prove that it was shaped so as to be a trobute to radical Islam.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

There might be legal precedent! Of course, Landsnatching . . . land, land, Land, see Snatch. Ah, Hailie vs. United Sates. Hailie: 7, United States: nothing. You see, it can be done!

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, that's beautiful. Great grab!! ha ha ha

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Governments grab land all the time. Happens every year when they need to build/expand existing roads.

If my mom can bear losing 30 feet in her front yard to the Indiana Department of Transportation, I think we can be bothered to use the land in Pennsylvania for a memorial.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sure, we can. But what about the folks that own it?

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The problem is no politician has had the balls to tell the victims families that enough is enough. They need to move on, the public response to their loss has been overwhelming, but it's time for this to end.

Draft saved Draft deleted