1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fame & Being Republican

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's Leroy, isn't it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In an old Simpson's episode where Ralph Wiggums became a presidential front-runner, a character who was clearly Arianna Huffington said of the Republicans, "They only have Stephen Baldwin. They might as well not even HAVE a Baldwin."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I remember Alec saying once that all his brothers were pretty conservative. I don't know if that meant compared to him or in general.

As a republican and a huge Alec Baldwin fan, I don't want to claim any of them. :D

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

List missing at least one "If you want to know the right slant on an issue, find out what ___ _____ feels about it, and go the other way . . . " . . . Ben Stein.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Broadly-appealing senses of humor in the lot: 0.

6. Mizzougrad96

I can't access that list, but I'm assuming Tim Allen and Adam Sandler are on it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Any body , any body

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Surprisingly . . . Allen is not.

9. Mizzougrad96

Tim Allen
    Adam Sandler
    Julie Bowen
    Adam Carolla
    Jay Leno
    Jimmy Kimmel
    Drew Carey
    Jeff Foxworthy
    Joan Rivers
    Dennis Miller

I'm not claiming that there are many, at least that we know about, and some on this list have denied it, but I would bet that most people would think that at least one person on the aforementioned list is funny.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I used to have this argument with FB all the time, but I find that most of the funny political writers are conservative (O'Rourke, Steyn, Goldberg). I never found that guy (Stein?) who wrote at the end of Time magazine funny at all. Gail Collins sometimes made me smile. Dahlia Lithwick was pretty good with the snark, but it seemed lopsided.

I'm speaking in past tense because I don't read political opinion writing much these days.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Patricia Heaton
    Ron Silver

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a lot -- most? -- of those people live in California. A Republican in California is a different thing. You can be pro-choice and pro-environment and pro-gay rights and still be a Republican. For most of them, as with athletes, it comes down to "I pay too much taxes!"

It's for the Patricia Heatons of the world to be a Republican the way the rest of the country pictures it.

Draft saved Draft deleted