1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fallout of SI's Tressel article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/03/father-disputes-simons-inclusion-in-si-article.html?sid=101

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20110603/SPORTS/106030321

Obviously, we can't know for sure who is telling the truth here, but I do get the feeling that SI rushed out with its article without really checking over things. Maybe I'm wrong. I really hope I am.

This may be a wild observation, but in the editor's letter in that issue, it is talked about how great of a writer Dohrmann is. Is there any chance some fact-checking went by the wayside because of Dohrmann's sterling reputation? There would be a storyline similar to one he reported if so.

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

It's one thing for the parents to say that their kids shouldn't have been painted with the same broad brush. It's quite another when a source quoted extensively claims his quotes are fabricated.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/02/cochran-calls-quote-8216fabricated8217-s/

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Right, because no one has ever given a quote that made them look bad and then tried to claim that the quote was made up after the fact.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Dohrman's responding on Twitter and holding firm.

And with a reputation as solid as his, I definitely believe the story's accurate.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In addition to "pen" and "paper," some of these younger reporters even use "electrical recording devices." Such recordings - if recoverable - might provide a clue as to who said what to whom.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I support the writer on this one as well...pretty simple case of "I can't believe you printed what I said."

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's saying one single quote was fabricated, for one.
    Two, he's claiming he can remember the entire interview that I'm sure he didn't take notes during, which is just bullshit.

None of these claims are substantial. Those saying Sports Illustrated "rushed" are completely wrong -- this story was on the burner for this week's issue well, well before Tressel got fired.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Exactly. Ray Small just said the Lantern fabricated his quotes. So they published his comments that they had recorded. He shut up.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Although I don't know anything definitively, I would wager a large amount of money on a few things:

1. All interviews in the SI piece were recorded.
    2. The SI piece was lawyered before publication.
    3. Nothing significant will come of this.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted