1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fallout from Stuebenville rape case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And here in Ontario, an OHL player has just been charged with sexual assault: http://yhoo.it/YngOOe

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Let me get more specific for those, like you, that need things spelled out...do you think he would have gone after the program AT THE TIME HE WAS THERE? This program that is providing his access and making him money? You are perfectly ok with his doing this book while still covering the team? Do you understand ethics?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on that Amazon thread he could not have made much on the book.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll vote yes. And since he has nothing to do with anything going on there right now, it's irrelevant. He's not there. He has no opportunity to do any coverage.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I'm sure he didn't and, actually, he is the best sports editor I have ever worked for. I think he was talked into doing this book by his boss at the time, but the fact that the sports editor of the local paper did a glowing history of the program has never sat well with me. It's something I would never have done, or had any of my guys do.

6. Boom_70

Really how glowing could the history be? I did some research and could not find one recognizable D1 player in past 30 years.

The national media has been lazy in presenting Steubenville as some storied program.

7. TheSportsPredictor

No, they haven't. Certainly their super glory days were decades ago. But they've enjoyed seven undefeated seasons in the last decade and made the playoffs 12 straight years.

8. Boom_70

Competition must be really weak then because they are just not sending kids to big time college programs.

9. TheSportsPredictor

OIC, that's what determines it.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for correcting the town (I apologize to West Orange).

But whether its "privileged" or "hardscabble" its the same message to the boys/supposed "stars"; go ahead you're above the rules that everyone else has to follow, we'll take care of it. Coach Reno fostered those feelings, just the same as the town of Glen Ridge did in 1989, over twenty four years ago. Same as it always was, that's what I take away from this.

My kids are nearing that age and I have seen the seed of that mentality planted here in my community. Little League all-stars and other athletic endeavors are given accolades and status that is leading down the path of its okay to have a sense of entitlement, to look down on the less fortunate.

11. Boom_70

In the privileged communities I think that the parents provide more of the mentality than the coaches.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's true in every community. Parents - and adults in general - foster that sense of entitlement regardless of the sport. Coaches aren't blameless but they also aren't usually totally responsible for those types of situations.

And the sport doesn't matter either. If your town is known for hockey, it's the hockey players. If it's known for basketball, it's the basketball players, etc.

I blame soccer for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted