1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falling Skies...Your Review?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 21, 2011.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Did anyone watch last night? I did. It was better than the first two hours, but still average TV.

They've completely dropped the ball with the bad guy. The "cliffhanger" ending was immediately spoiled by the 30-second preview for next week, which basically answered said "cliffhanger." Just terrible, TNT.

I liked the sequence with Wyle and the black dude (I'm sorry but their character names haven't been put enough in my head) looking at the kids, and the latter seeing his and rushing toward him. That was a very human thing to do. We could've got the "No! I won't go get him because it will spoil our mission and endanger all of us!" but they didn't.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The show hasn't seemed to escape the lazy writing device of people doing something stupid and then the lead has to work the rest of the episode to fix it.

Like the brick falling off the building or the other guy grabbing his kid.

I think the show has tons of potential and I'm intrigued by the idea that there's more aliens to be seen. And I can almost see them figuring out that the mech robots are actually human children powered and that's why they invaded in the first place — to grab more kids.

Depending on your perspective the show has either ripped off or is paying hoamge to many other shows and movies. The wall of missing people? Battlestar Galactica. Same goes for handsome, smarmy super genius who might have ulterior motives. Defeating alien in hand to hand combat? Independence Day. Same goes for dragging defeated alien back to camp.

On the flipside, I've never seen someone taste something, scream paprika and then ask if the other person was Hungarian. That was funny and completely original.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm just thankful "Falling Skies" didn't turn out like "The Event." That was perhaps my biggest disappointment for a show. Ever.

"Falling Skies" isn't a great show, but it's entertaining and somewhat original. Think about it -- they could have started the show with the arrival/invasion. They didn't. The big debate seems to be the argument about surviving versus defending/resisting. That in itself is a little unique because usually the plot is that you always fight back.

I have some gripes, too. The biggest was the pic of Ben that was put up at the end of last night's show. It made him look like he was 10. He looked a lot older in the scenes. More of a nit, though.

I like Wylie and Will Patton has always been an underrated character actor. I'm not sure about Steven Weber's character or whether he'll last the rest of the season.

It may just last a season, but so did Jericho (OK, that last 1.25 seasons). But that's all you need for some plotlines, especially ones with apocalyptic tones.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Bumping this back up... I'm still watching, but it has gotten kind of "meh" to me already. After the slow and deliberate pacing of the premiere, they sure are racing through plot devices. We've already had them encountering a band of other resistance fighters (but evil and opportunistic), a soldier betraying them, child trafficking, alien autopsy... The only thing that's left is for Ex-ER guy to bang that hot nurse and to take over for the Army general guy leading them when he dies.

The group dynamics also don't completely work for me - They aren't panicked enough to completely break down into individual groups, but they aren't logical enough to realize things like, "Hey, we can communicate with this captive alien we have!"

Still, it's summer, so it's not like it has much competition. I'll stick with it for the time being.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

I gave up on it after two episodes. I thought it sucked. 10 p.m. on Sunday nights is now occupied by Breaking Bad.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I find it kind of mindless summer TV. It isn't great, it isn't bad. There are some times I think it is going to be getting good, and it gets dragged down by some sappiness. Read the review of this past Sunday's episode on the AV Club and pretty much agree - the show picked up this week and am hopeful it remains this higher quality. (And as far as two TV shows being on at the same time, well, glad I have a DVR - heck, I don't watch anything live other than sporting events).

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had the guy from 7th Mass pegged as a bad guy as soon as I realized it was the same actor who played Bob Ritter in Clear and Present Danger.

I do wonder how they wrote the show. Episodes seem to go here and there, like they didn't have a clear plan on what would take place. And killing off the third black character? Why don't they just give them red shirts?

8. Well-played, Dan. It does all seem a bit aimless at times. Killing off Steven Weber's character seemed a bit hasty, too. Like they were giving up on the whole removing the harness idea.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm thinking Weber was only signed for just a couple episodes anyway -- maybe he'll comeback in later flashbacks, who knows.

What's piquing my interest is the use of the kids by the aliens. In the one scene where they rescued Ben, it was as if the alien was taking care of the kids like a mother bird taking care of her eggs or hatchlings.

I'll be shocked if this comes back next season, but it's not the worst show on TV either.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It has already been renewed for a second season. I believe they are 10-episode seasons.

And Weber was around for 2 reasons: 1. Give the way to get rid of the harness; 2. Get Noah Wylie's character all riled up and give him some background angst

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get the impression that the writers at times are trying to allude to certain things without saying them flat out because they aren't sure about how to work it out - I figured Wyle's character suspected Weber was having an affair with his wife (at least that was the impression their interactions gave), I figure Will Patton's character is kid soldier Jimmy's dad (or at least the son of a former girlfriend - there is a Woodrow Call/Newt Hobbs vibe to their relationship.

Draft saved Draft deleted