1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falling Skies...Your Review?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 21, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So I was psyched to see this TNT series because I am fascinated by depictions of alien invasions and the fact that Spielberg put his name on this (exec. prod.) Well it was okay but kind of slow for me. You?

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Are they re-airing the premiere sometime this week?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd give it a B. One of the things I was most interested in about shows like Lost and Jericho was how a new "society" was formed by the survivors - done well, the survivors never forget what was "before" and never lose that desire for "normalcy" to return. Falling Skies did it well. I just hope they didn't blow the special effects budget on the premiere. Not good enough where there is no place to go but down, but good enough for it to grow.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Enjoyed it.

A little cliched, but there's definite summer potential there. Liked the line "Being the leader of a post-apocalyptic gang of outlaws has been tiring" from the walking cliche requisite tough guy. It's on TNT, so like The Librarian flicks it's shaping up to be good harmless fun.

Aside from some soccer tournaments that are really just the second string to last summer's action, we're in the no man's land between the NBA Finals/Stanley Cup Playoffs and the beginning of the NFL season, so some interesting fiction to watch is always welcome.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

I didn't really like it.

It was sort of slow, the aliens were lame and not intimidating, the "action" scenes weren't very compelling, the lone storyline with intrigue (outlaws vs. our protag and his group) was quickly wrapped up, and the cliche bad guy turned out to be a dumbass.

Let's be honest: The alien genre has been beat to fuck so expecting anything big time out of this show is a stretch.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is a better-than-decent summation.

I gave it a chance. I don't have time for this calibre of tripe, anymore.

7. I'll probably watch it because I always liked Noah Wyle on ER, but NDub's critique pretty much nailed it. The show did pick up in the second hour, but these people seem way too unexcited that their world has been taken over by aliens. (Aliens who despite being able to subdue the entire world in mere minutes can't seem to locate 300-strong groups of people wandering around suburban Boston.)

8. NDub

NDub Guest

In the middle of the day! They were just wandering in the open and didn't even seem worried. That actually pissed me off because it was so unreal.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the show. The special effects were pretty damn good for a TV series and the aliens were interesting. I found the line asking about why they built their robots to be bipedal intriguing and I think there are a lot of interesting avenues for the show to explore.

The Walking Dead is treading some of the same territory (and doing it better), but I like these kind of shows.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe its just because I find Falling Skies very similar to what is happening in the newspaper industry - but I'll keep watching. Evacuating from the big cities, figure the harnesses on kids represent paywalls "You try to take them off - they'll die"

"What happens if that doesn't work?"
    "We'll divide into smaller units"

11. NDub

NDub Guest

bigpern23 - I thought the special effects were bad. Very bad in some spots. When that robot came walking out of the armory - wow. Just terrible.

I have only two big beefs with The Walking Dead - why did they set up camp in the middle of the woods? There are probably hundreds of abandoned houses to fortify. Also, they could've gone to any rural Wal-Mart or BFE gas station to get food, but never did.

The acting (sans Wyle), characters and action are all far more compelling than Falling Skies.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the premier except I question the decision to make the second episode about running into the group of renegade bad guys who want to steal all of their stuff. With the exception of adding a character or two, it could have waited a couple episodes.

Draft saved Draft deleted