1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falling asleep in the press box

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Nov 18, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Quick answers: 1. No, not drunk (as far as I know). 2. Not a newspaper site, but a national one's offshoot that might be known for, say, recruiting coverage.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thanks for stopping by, Rick Reilly . . . .

This is no big deal. I'll bet it happens in MLS press boxes all the time. [/Jerks]

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, at least he wasn't live blogging. </ncaa>

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's got to be tough to fall asleep in a press box. Even hangovers can't keep me down while I'm on assignment.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Thank goodness for Red Bull.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thank goodness for heroin.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's only because they think you're wearing head to toe fur because of the hair. . .

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't I wish!!!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I caught myself nodding off several times during the first game at Papa John's Stadium. Kentucky beat up on Louisville during the Couch era, I think it was 900-750, and it was over in the first quarter.

It was about 110 degrees for a noon kickoff and I had worked until 3:30 a.m. the night before and got very little sleep.

Sue me ... the game was boring as fuck after a certain point. I never fully blanked out anyway, it was kind of like sleeping at the wheel, where I'd wake myself up just as I was fading out. I have no regrets.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I recommend against this, what, with all the loose balls that will be coming your way during the game.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got a feeling that if you're a regular on the beat you'd get a lot longer rope.

Ditto for if you conked out at the end of a long road trip or something.

Then again, if this guy fell asleep MULTIPLE times, well, he shouldn't be there.

Draft saved Draft deleted