1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fall preview tabs...anyone else still doing them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bradley Guire, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The Miami Herald and Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel football sections both appeared over the past several days, and I was impressed by both. The Sun Sentinel's was particularly strong -- 64 pages, with separate section fronts for the Dolphins, U of Miami, U of Florida, FSU, Florida Atlantic/other state colleges and high schools. That paper has cut back so much in recent years that I wasn't expecting much -- and the section wasn't as robust as it was 15 or 20 years ago when it annually made the APSE's top 10 for big papers -- but it was still a damn good effort. So was the Herald's, even though it was about half the size of the Sentinel's -- some good reading there.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We're starting a true Football Preview section for the first time this year...in the past it's been a hodgepodge of team photos and rosters that looked like some high school publication put it together. And we would run the team capsules, features and such in the regular sports section. This year we've gotten the go-ahead to pursue a real section with the hopes being to put something together that they can sell better when next season comes around.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Your art just cost some kid his preseason scholarship.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Ours came out last Sunday. Same basic format. Same lack of ads

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They sold ads on the cover of my tab this year. That was a first. Color front and back but they didn't sell any color ads. Meh.

6. bhmccorm

bhmccorm New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted