1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falcons seek return of Vick's bonuses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Did a search and couldn't find this one, so apologies of d_b ...

But the Falcons want $16M back from Mikey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3047382&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Atlanta Falcons have asked their troubled quarterback Michael Vick to return more than $16 million in bonus money in a case that will be argued in a hearing Thursday, according to sources with knowledge of the case.

The Falcons contend that Vick should return the money because his recent guilty plea to federal dogfighting charges puts him in violation of the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in December 2004.

But the NFL Players Association will argue in the hearing before the NFL's special master, University of Pennsylvania Law School professor Stephen Burbank, that Vick has already earned the bonus money, which was in the form of roster bonuses, and that under the current collective bargaining agreement reached in March a team cannot retrieve money already earned.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Won't ever happen.

That money is long gone.

Hell, he had to get a loan not long ago for 2.5 million.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a funny feeling he pled out so soon because he might not of had the money to pay his lawyers.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Just wait until tax time next year. Does anyone think he has any money socked away for the IRS?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah ... from my people! Hee hee hee ...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I dunno ... is OJ a pauper?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OJ was "innocent." OJ also moved to Florida, which has the loosest bankruptcy laws in the US.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maybe that's where he thought the "killers" were...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

And he's gonna beat 'em with his 9-iron.

Draft saved Draft deleted