1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falcons cut Grady Jackson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 23, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

When they cut Grady Jackson, did candy and Twinkies fall out?

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Nicely done. I wonder if milk-bones fell out when they axed Vick?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Grady Jackson is worth a week's angst in the ATL? Seriously? Grady Jackson is the key to the Falcons salvaging the season and winning the Super Bowl?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course not, but the competition isn't the same for those other free agents. I keep going back to the example of Vrabel. There wasn't a big competition for his services. He was just looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting job, which he wasn't getting in Pittsburgh. Guys like that often end up going to the bad team because that is where the opportunity is.

Guys who hadn't even been NFL starters before or ones who were struggling just to find a job in the league don't help the argument that you can't build through the draft. The Colts, Steelers and Patriots teams I cited as examples were not stocked with the type of free agents who can pick and choose where they will go. They were built on draft picks and shrewd pick-ups of players who hadn't made it elsewhere.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

No, he certainly wasn't the key to anything, but his release is just another casualty of the Vick-fallout & the coach having no support from his team. Such a sad situation, really.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He was, though, the starting nose tackle. Not too often will you see a starting nose tackle released midseason.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I guess you could make the case the 2005 Steelers needed James Farrior and Jeff Hartings to win the Super Bowl, but it wasn't a team that was weighed down with FAs.
    I'm going to venture a guess that most of the key Colts last year were drafted as well.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Why would Vick feed 'em? He was only going to kill them anyway.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll I'm trying to say is that Atlanta is now the SportsJournalists.com equivalent of Jackson TN and Martinsville for players.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah ... no.

Alge Crumpler would be good anywhere. He's seen more than his share of passes in Atlanta, and while a lot of that can be blamed on Michael Vick's inaccurate throwing arm and the Falcons' putrid receiving corps the last few years, Crumpler is that good. He was every bit that good in his college days, and that school hasn't been a QB factory.

If you wish to disagree with his comments to the media, all good and well. But Alge Crumpler is much better than the average tight end.

And before the jackals try to pull this post apart, I'm not Crumpler's agent, I despise the Falcons and I'm not exactly a fan of Crumpler's alma mater.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Everything I've read and heard, Petrino has the support of management. He's trying to figure out who he can build around and who needs to go bye-bye.

I think it's far too early to determine if he's been a failure or not.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Even if this weren't the case - and I tend to agree, though I don't think Bobby Petrino's control-freak college rules will work with pros - Arthur Blank is on the hook for too much money to be paying off this contract after just one year.

Either DeAngelo Hall will come around or the Birds will have to deal him. Which is sad ... if Ritalin Child can climb in his head, it would nice to have Atlanta's number for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted