1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fake Reporter Calling Female HS Athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mira, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's crap like this that has totally killed my interest in covering high school sports.

Some of the best features I ever did were profiles of female athletes. I'd normally arrange to meet them at a convenient time someplace around campus. We'd talk for maybe 30-45 minutes. I'd start out with a set of about 10 questions and then just see where the interview led. Then I'd talk to a coach, at least one teammate, and someone outside of sports (parent, principal, teacher, etc.) in an effort to flesh out the story. We'd usually do the photo shoot later, unless we had a real quick turnaround deadline.

One time, I got assigned to do a story on a softball player I had never seen play. So I take time out on my off day and drove 30 miles to one of her games. Happened to meet her mom in the stands. Mom happened to be a motor mouth, so I got all kinds of good background dope. I was very prepared for my official interview with the player the next day.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People should stick to the pros:

http://thehottestdanceteam.wordpress.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted