1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith in the workplace article.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Doom and gloom, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Link, please.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Dammit, I think the bias goes both ways, sometimes favoring religion if you're a fervent Christian. And let's be honest. When we're talking about religion reports, unless you're at a massive daily, most of your stories are going to be features anyway. Doesn't leave a lot of space for "high-charged" bias reporting anyway.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are a few writers around here who work in the Jesus angle on almost every feature story. Pull it completely out of left field.

4. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

I believe you missed the word GUESS.  Just based on what I hear from people in the business and a strong antagonism toward anything religious and partuicularly Christian in here.

Which leads me to make this comment: Fenian, you seem to be particularly antagonistic toward it.  You say you're old school Catholic (or did I guess wrong again?) but there's not much I've read on here to indicate you hold anything but aniimosity toward Christianity, which last I heard, Catholicism was a part of.  Just an observation - not a point of argument.  

5. My request for a link was based on your first sentence, in which you referred to having "seen slanted reporting on religion, shed (sic) by views of a person who loatehd organized religion." Serious charge. Just asking for my evidence.
    God and I have an agreement. We don't discuss our conversations on message boards.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to nitpick or flame here, Dammit, but I believe it's critical to separate being a Christian from being a member of any organized religion. I definitely believe in God, but I have nothing but disdain for most organized religions because of corruption, hypocracy, differing tenets, etc.

7. Doom and gloom

8. Doom and gloom

So the implication there is that he talks to you. Sounds pretty "charismatic" to me. You sure you're not getting the two mixed up?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

C'mon, man, let's not let the argument fall into this trap. We were doing good debating the issue without turning ugly.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've never experienced it myself, short of someone saying they didn't like my Buddy Christ on my desk. Sad thing is, they didn't even get that it was a figure from a Kevin Smith movie poking fun at Catholicism. They just didn't like the religious imagery. And one other guy didn't like it because he found it offensive to his Christianity.

But the story that was linked pointed out several instances. Now, I'm not saying it's rampant. You can't say something is widespread based on anecdotal evidence. But it does happen.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes. The fundies and the Mormons and the adventists obviously hate Roman Catholics. It was pretty open, and disdainful, and had nothing to do with anything work-related. I would have had to give a fraction of a shit what they thought to have been offended.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'e always been a firm believer in the workplace article.

Draft saved Draft deleted