1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fairfield. CA Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Firstime Caller, Aug 7, 2006.

1. This is kind of old, but I didn't see it on here. Anybody know anything about this place/job?

From jjobs.com:

Company: Daily Republic
    Position:
    Versatile Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    August 16, 2006
    Job ID: 397030

Description:
    A 20,000-circulation daily located between San Francisco and Sacramento seeks a full-time sports writer who will also do some page design. The Daily Republic has a four-person staff, plus some strong part-time writers. We cover 10 high schools and one community college. While we cover the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball teams in Northern California, regional coverage is our priority. The ideal candidate will have feature-writing skills and proven ability to write well under deadline pressure and be able to get along well with others on staff and in the community. Some knowledge of Quark Express page design is expected. The position provides an outstanding opportunity to grow professionally. To apply, e-mail a resume and cover letter explaining your interest to tsillanpaa@dailyrepublic.net, then snail mail a variety of your best writing, with design work if available, including tear sheets of pages to Ted Sillanpaa, sports editor, the Daily Republic, 1250 Texas St., Box 47, Fairfield, Calif. 94533.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

how far from Tahoe?

3. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

I sent off a package a little while ago and haven't heard anything about it.

My favorite thing about Fairfield is when you drive through it on I-80 you can smell the hops and barley from its Anheiser Busch factory. The tour is pretty rad if you ever get a chance. Also, there is also the Jelly Belly factory a hop-skip away from the beer factory that also has a tour. God bless those elementary school field trips. Otherwise, don't know a ton about the area, other than that it's close enough to Sacramento/Davis that the commute isn't impossible if you don't want to live in Fairfield.

2 1/2 hours from Tahoe, depending on traffic, of course

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Two things:
    First, you used the word "rad." Simply amazing.
    Second, anywhere is 15 min from Tahoe.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

2 1/2 hours from Tahoe is laughably inaccurate ;D.

6. Really, the commute from Sacramento/Davis is doable? On mapquest, it looked much closer to fringes of the Bay Area? Is the commute from the fringes of the Bay Area doable?

7. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Buck, MU, sorry about the misconceptions of the Tahoe commute. After all, I am a newbie. I'm commencing beer-fetching as you read.

Firstime, definitely doable from the fringes of the bay area. I just said Sac/Davis because it's typically more affordable than the bay... and closer to Tahoe.

Draft saved Draft deleted