1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fair or foul? Dan Patrick question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Feb 2, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The first thing we'll jump on interviewers about is, they didn't ask the questions we want to hear the answers to.

Well, when that question was asked, I was quite interested to hear the answer. Because the answer honestly could have gone either way. Tomlin could have said that he DID go in with questions about himself, and it wouldn't have made him any lesser a man or coach.

Think of how few of those interview questions you can say that about -- that the answer could have gone either way.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

With all due respect, Boomer is something of a dunce and if anyone should be called out it's him for even suggesting it's not a legitimate question for the youngest coach ever to win a Super Bowl. I'll also stipulate that Dan has become awful full of himself in the last 15 years.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

cranberry...couldn't agree more. that's why, elsewhere on SportsJournalists.com, I've posted my thoughts on why I have grown tired of his act. It's all about DP.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but part of Patrick's act is that it's all about him. It's kind of a running joke.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

well, it's a running joke that has run its course. :D

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think DP's just become overexposed with his schtick and even when he turns "serious" he's gotten to the point where he takes himself too seriously. He's got a case of the Bob Costas/Mike Lupica disease.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was a great question. I used to have a negative opinion on Patrick and he's won me over a little as I listen more.

Esiason's a stupid idiot who's not averse to throwing his colleagues under the bus (see Aikman, Troy.)

8. It is important to note at this point that Boomer Esiason has become your classic midtown barroom asshat.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Cranberry...good comparison with Costas/Lupica. Believe you're on to something there. I've gotten to where I just sense that type of approach by all of those guys, thus I am probably simply irritating myself even more by listening to them.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Perfectly valid question, but one I've seen answered by Tomlin in other venues, so not exactly groundbreaking.

11. I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why some feel the question was odd.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seriously. It was a great question. If I had been there, I'd have been wishing I'd asked it.

Draft saved Draft deleted