1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fair or foul? Dan Patrick question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It was a weird question, but not unfair.

What was unprofessional was Patrick, an Ohio native, getting caught with his mike on talking to Santonio Holmes about "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!"

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why is it odd?

That's a real good question. Taking over a Super Bowl team... I bet a lot coaches would feel over their head.

No?

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I think it's a fair question. Maybe it could've been asked differently, but fair. That said, Boomer's response doesn't surprise me. He's a good reason to have a mute button on the TV remote.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm just guessing, but I suspect part of the reason Boomer found the question inappropriate is because Tomlin's black. Ask the same question of Lane Kiffin (if by some miracle he led the Raiders to the SB) or some other young white coach, and it's clear that his youth is the only issue. Ask it of a young black coach and some people will wonder if there's some racial subtext there. In this case, I think it was a perfectly fine question, especially since Tomlin was a surprise choice when he got the job.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I saw absolutely nothing odd with it, or inappropriate. Just a good question.

My question is why Esiason, even if he thought that, would hang his co-worker out to dry like that. THAT is what was bad form.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I heard him ask it, and I immediately thought "great question."

It was a record-setting night for the Steelers, and that was one of the "records" — although, is youngest coach a "record?"

Anyway, good question. Good answer.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Definitely not a record, which, now that you mention it, Pete, is odd that it kept being referred to as such.

A distinction, sure. But it's not really like anyone could set that "record."

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Distinction. Good word. I wish more people would call it that. 'Cause like I said, I question it being called a "record."

9. micke77

micke77 Member

an odd question, I think, but i don't know if it was that "out of bounds." of course, this is Dan Patrick, so what should we maybe expect? like playthrough noted, it usually is all about DP, anyway. give me somebody else doing that interview.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If McDaniels or Morris is coaching in the Super Bowl in the next few years they would definitely be asked the same question.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm admittedly a DP man, so I've got to respectfully disagree on that.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I must admit, I'm not even getting the odd part. Seems like a perfectly reasonable question, respectfully asked, and prompting a good answer. Not sure why Boomer felt the need to comment at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted