1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fair and Balanced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To me, that's the greatest compliment a reader and/or subject you interviewed can pay. I'd rather hear that than "I liked your story" or "you sure got them, good" or "why did you take their side" or "your story sucked."

I just received an email from someone I interviewed Friday for a story. She had vested interest in the subject, she was clearly "one half of the story" and, by all means, if she had felt she or her organization was slighted in any way could have cried foul.

But, she sent a short note reading "I just read your story online and thought it was fair and balanced."

That makes me feel like I did my job and did my readers justice.

Good feeling.

That's it. That's all.

Just a thought.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always took "fair and balanced" as the subject not really liking the story but can't find any reason to sue.

3. Pete Incaviglia

I suppose that could be true. In which case, again, I'd be proud of my work.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate here:

If someone with a vested interest says "that was fair and balanced", maybe it just means it was agreeable to their side. Like the GOP thinks Fox News is fair and balanced.

Maybe it should be like a sports official. You know you did a good job if both sides say you favored the other side,

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. You should be. Either way.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always prefered a reader to tell me "It's not news, its CNN."

7. Pete Incaviglia

I also like that; receiving the same amount of negative feedback from both sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted