1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fair and balanced," right?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DemoChristian, Jul 3, 2008.

1. http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003823885

Clearly Fox News is the honest place to get your news. Those guys at CNN are just a bunch of liberal hacks.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We all know that fair and balanced doesn't exactly mean fair and balanced. So why do we bring it up every week in a thread. With a generous majority of media outlets being left, having one that is far right does make sort of a balance. Yes, Fox News is more right than the others are left, but there are so many others why worry about it. Its just once station. And we get it, they're conservatives. Argggh. End of rant.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

With this new "This is How We See You" feature, think of all the money Ann Coulter will save on touching up her roots. ;)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exactly what media outlets do you consider to be 'left'?

Most media outlets considered 'left' by the right-wingers are usually more into the center. Like another person said on another thread, the purpose of a free press is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Many on the right fall into the 'comfortable' category.

And you don't hear of CNN or MSNBC boasting that they are 'fair and balanced' That's because they usually are.

5. I bring it up, Stang, because people on this site have argued Fox is the most fair media outlet.
    That's beyond silly.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The problem with your argument is that CNN would never doctor a photo like that.

Or call something a "terrorist fist jab"....

Or label Michelle Obama "Obama's Baby Mama"....

The CNN newsroom has many folks who are right of center and also a ton of independents-- and that's because they do a good bit of hiring out of the conservative metro Atlanta 'burbs.

I worked there for 5 years. I had debates with these people... The #1 concern there is ratings, not promoting a political agenda.

The same cannot be said for Fox. I know someone who produces there... all you have to do is read the directives in the memos.

It's time to just accept that FNC is a crummy excuse for a "news" network.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Come on, people, all the large media outlets besides Fox are definitely middle of the road, unflinchingly objective and nonpartisan to a fault. Everybody knows that.

8. Has anyone actually looked at the photos in question?
    One look at them and tell they have been altered. It ain't even close. No one looks like that.
    Not saying it was right, but it wasn't like they slightly doctored the photos to make seem sinister. This was over-the-top.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, sorta.

In fairness, doesn't Olbermann 'doctor' photos of ... I dunno Bill O'Reily to make him seem evil? (In a cartoonish way... ) I'm just asking.

If you conservatives want a liberal equivalent to Fox News Channel, it's Olbermann's show. But that's an entire network and a single show. The rest of MSNBC is kind of to the right if you ask me. They kiss McCain's butt something awful. And none of the dirt on McCain (like the failure to pay taxes story) gets any play on MSNBC.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Media Matters = Massive Soros Funded Fail.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I didn't even bring up the photo. It was obviously something you learn not to do in JRN 101. So I don't understand how that has anything to do with your argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted