1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fainaru-Wada to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 13, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Curious how many of his notes he'll be allowed to take w/ him.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As Moddy mentioned on the ESPN thread, these guys are damn serious.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We also mentioned this hire on that thread, but that's besides the point.
    More to come, more to come. Maybe not until after Thanksgiving but more to come.

4. I'm curious about this too. Does a newspaper own the notes a reporter takes? What about sources? If left my job would I have to surrender all my notebooks and contact lists?

Sorry for the threadjack so early in the process :)

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're assuming any notes actually exist. Many newspapers require that notes be destroyed.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So why not Lance Williams too? Is he loyal to the Chron? Or could ESPN not hire both him and T.J. Quinn?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My paper requires that notes and audio recordings are destroyed two weeks after publication

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What is that, "Mission:Impossible"?
    I hang onto audio recordings all season, in case I want to go back and pull out something for a feature. Easy to archive now, transfering audio files to laptop.

9. That's something I've never come across (granted I've only worked at two previous papers). I remember someone at a workshop saying it was a good idea to destroy your notes after a story has been published, but when I related that to my boss back at my (former) paper, he thought that was ridiculous, reasoning what if you got sued for libel and had no notes to support your side?
    Does anybody think this is a topic I should start as a separate thread?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes...we've debated this in the past and it was a good discussion.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think the point is that if you did get sued, the notes and recordings couldn't be grabbed by the lawyers.
    If you did have them, and you didn't turn them over, you could go to jail. As has happened in the past.
    I don't know how many people actually comply with it.
    I don't throw out notebooks every two weeks. I do delete audio files and I don't save them to my laptop, unless I'm working on some ongoing project.

Draft saved Draft deleted