1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fail pays: Chargers extend Norv through 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishhack2009, Jan 19, 2010.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Don't get me wrong - Norv is not a good head coach. But at least he won three playoff games with the Chargers, including one on the road without Rivers or LT. Schottenheimer couldn't even win one playoff game.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Dungy's problem wasn't him being a one-trick defensive pony.

Dungy's problem was that his teams were WAY too lackadasical mentally and physically in the playoffs. Dungy (and Polian too) never realized that you have to take your mental and physical intensity higher in the playoffs. Instead, Dungy's teams approached those games like they were "any other game," got hit in the mouth by an inferior but more energized opponent, and lost a game they had no business losing.

Sometimes it was a matter of getting hit in the mouth early and not rebounding until it was too late ('03 vs. Patriots and '05 vs. Steelers). Sometimes, they never responded at all ('02 vs. Jets and '04 vs. Patriots). And in a couple of others, they had some flashes of brilliance throughout but ultimately failed the toughness exam ('07 and '08 vs. Chargers). Whatever the route, the destination was the same - mental and physical softness in big spots and far too few championships for the amount of talent they have had.

While the Colts by no means played their best last Saturday against the Ravens, they did have a level of mental and physical intensity that they sorely lacked in the playoffs under Dungy.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think that's a fair critique of Dungy. I'm not sure exactly what Jim Caldwell has done to give this year's Colts a little more of a kick in the pants, but you can see that the intensity is up, particularly on defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted