1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fail pays: Chargers extend Norv through 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishhack2009, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Because epic fail like Sunday just HAS to be rewarded immediately...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4837855

And epic fail like Monday's calls for:

[​IMG]

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really don't understand why coaches have to be so ruthlessly graded by the results of individual playoff games.

Would he be a better coach if he'd told his kicker not to miss three field goals? Told his receiver not to accidentally kick the ball into the air when it was about to hit the ground?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Notice how Dean Spanos' name is linked to the extension and quotes. It was A.J. Smith, if we recall, who turned his professional issues with Marty Schottenheimer personal and canned him.

Wonder if Smith had any say in this?

4. fishhack2009

Because at this level, "They tried really hard" just doesn't cut it. This was probably the closing of the window for this group. Turner has proven in three tours now that he's just not an NFL head coach.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, if you are firing him because he's proven to you that he's not a good coach overall, that's a different story.

But there are a whole bunch of factors that go into winning or losing a football game. A head coach is only a small fraction of the total influence. If a guy's a good coach, he's a good coach, whether the team wins or loses or not.

6. fishhack2009

The extension was probably in the works for weeks. But the day after yet another first-round crash and burn seems like a dumb time to announce it.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

A closing of the window?

No, I'd say there is at least one or two more years left for this group and Phillip Rivers is still young enough that the window is probably even longer than that.

However, the roster needs some tweaking and probably could stand to cut loose a few of the assholes on it, but they'll be a good team for a while.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Team still has a shitload of talent, not including a fadeout star at running back who was 49th in the league in ypc.

9. fishhack2009

I noticed that too. Seems kind of odd that he's not quoted. Maybe a sign he wasn't on board with the extension?

10. fishhack2009

I'd agree on Rivers, Zag. But I think LT is done, and maybe time to see what Sproles can do full-time. Maybe LT sticks around in a lessened role as a 3rd-down back, or something. He's done a lot for the organization, including restructuring his deal a few years back. But his days as an every-down back are over, I think.

A.J. Smith apparently wants Merriman gone, so it looks like Larry English will have to come along in a hurry.

And amid all this, there's a new stadium issue too, with an implied threat to possibly move to LA.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

At the bare minimum SD needs to cut Kaeding, he is the reason they lost.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tomlinson won't completely fall off the radar screen like Shaun Alexander because he still has great receiving skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted