1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fail, baby, fail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Mar 21, 2012.

1. EDIT: Thanks for the link.

One question I have is on the L2 regression.

If that stands for a 2-month lag time, as I suspect it does (and would be reasonable for refinement), then the regression produces a statistically significant drop in prices.

In fact, there's a clear pattern where L1 and L3 see increases in price and decreases in gas purchases, while L2 shows the opposite.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oil companies execs will tell you they have nothing to do with the gas prices.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Y'all are just trying to call me out by speaking fake German. :)

Oil hasn't been solely governed by the laws of supply and demand since probably 1998, if even then.

Obama is going tomorrow to Cushing, which is absolutely floating in oil. Every tank in the farm is bursting to capacity as Big Oil waits for the real peak to release it. At the same time, U.S. demand is down. The dollar is as strong against the euro as it's been in two years.

Domestically we have four times as many rigs drilling as we had at the end of the Bush administration. We're drill, drill, drilling, and you don't even have to give Obama credit, nor should you necessarily. Facts are facts.

This is 100% on the backs of speculators betting on a blow-up in Iran despite the fact NATO has four carrier battle groups in the Persian Gulf or within a day's sail. The Strait of Hormuz will stay as open as Snooki's hoo-ha.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not really, there's no clear pattern here. Some of the point estimates for slope coefficients are negative, but very few are significantly different from zero. Further, you've got an error-and-fishing rate dynamic in play here: So many tests raises the probability that at least some of the "significant" results we see here are simply through chance.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That paragraph reads like a cheat code from "Grand Theft Auto."

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It's OK, took my profits and diversified. I'm long on Ragu character count, Dooley posts and Boom typos.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good thing you shorted RokSki and John D. Villarreal.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and strippers will tell you they're putting themselves through college

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, but she was. She told me about she did her professor.

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Spread those out, dools, I got loans to pay back!

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"Do you understand anything about this post?"

[​IMG]

"Nope."

Draft saved Draft deleted