1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fads you remember fondly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, parachute pants and those Don Johnson/Miami Vice jackets.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

God no. I grew up near what was probably the best "alternative" station in the country at the time. That radio station defined our existence, when I was 14 to 18. The music we listened to was gay, but not Thompson Twins gay. It ran a gamut, but it was more along the lines of Morrisey/The Cure/Depeche Mode/Oingo Boingo/Flock of Seagulls/Joy Division, etc. I never tried to get the white make-up and lipstick look down, but I sort of had the 80s dandy thing going. I don't regret any of it, although the haircuts in the pictures are kind of funny now.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That music wasn't really gay. It was more bi. :)

Yeah, that was some good stuff...I listened to it. Punk had already started to suck by the time I was old enough to get into it...I "discovered" punk in 1983 when it had already begun its long downhill slide into stupidity with hardcore and later speedmetal. So I appreciated the sophistication in the lyrics and musical styles in some of those "new wave" bands. Joy Division was a great reminder that no matter how profound my teen angst, there was always someone more miserable than me.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, fuck. I know what I'm getting into if I click on to a thread called, "Bush is to blame for everything" or "Democrats are as useless as condoms in a convent." Can we at least keep that shit out of the fun, frivolous threads? Jesus.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rolling up your jeans

6. Cross-Colors.

The hightop fade.

Haircuts with words carved into the back.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hypercolor shirts

Doc Marten boots

pink leg warmers

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Trapper Keepers

"Snap" bracelets

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Landing strips.

10. I still own a pair of Doc Martens. They're dress shoes, and not boots, but whatever. I wear them often to work.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How about the untrimmed bush?

Boy, did those peter out in a hurry one day...

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I loved my Jams. Was that around the same time girls were wearing Jellies?

Draft saved Draft deleted