1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fads you remember fondly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Charleston, flappers, drinking and driving, reminiscing about the good ol' days before the First World War. [/spnited] :D ;D

The Family Compact, Ottawa thinking it could ever be an acceptable national capital, meetings of the Loyal Orange Lodge, the idea that any good will ever come of all that farmland that surrounds Toronto on three sides. [/jr] ;D :D

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Support for the war in Iraq...

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I remember Hypercolor shirts with a fondness. My dad put mine in the dryer, and that was the end of that.

A few girl ones: Keds, color-layering your slouch socks, Swatch watches, body glitter, hair mascara, "bubble necklaces", banana clips.

Big ups to the person who said bangs.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Buttons of your fave bands etc. pinned to your denim or leather jacket. I had loads of buttons, wonder whatever happened to them.

Another one I remember fondly: reasonably priced concert tickets.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Fire, the wheel, dinosaurs, the dark ages...

Ah, hell. We luv ya, spnited.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Geek.

Dweeb.

Spaz.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm a neo-maxie zoom dweebie.

And I had a pair of black Guess? overalls that I wore with one strap off.

So there.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That goes right along with attending concerts at the CNE Grandstand (Garth Brooks in '91 or '92, can't remember right now) or the Kingswood Music Theatre at Canada's Wonderland. :)

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if it qualifies as a fad. And it's hard to call it one, because I still wear them... But Chuck Taylor's, Converse All Stars. I started wearing them I was 10 or 11, and I still wear them in my late 30s. When I was in H.S., I was one of the dorks who wore a different colored Chuck on each foot. That was a bit of a fad thing, I think. Oh, and writing irish, I wasn't so much new wave, which I associate with punk-pop from the early 80s, as I was a "new music" kid from the mid to late 80s (Everything from the Smiths to Erasure). I was also an 80s fashion victim. Best way I can describe H.S. (and I'm actually not as embarrassed as I should be) is a little bit of Nicolas Cage in Valley Girl, Jon Cryer in Pretty In Pink and anyone from the cast of St. Elmo's Fire.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Current fads?
    Would Tickle me Elmo count? And what about the latest Japanese anime figure? Or do things that could be toys not really count.
    What about jam bands?
    As far as the interweb goes, I think blogs are, for the most part, a fad that will go away.
    Just like chat rooms, I can't remember the last time I was in one.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ragu, as long as you weren't flouncing around to the Thompson Twins, you weren't one of those new wave boys of whom I wrote disparagingly.

By the time the late 80s rolled around, I had ceased being punk rock because I was attending a snooty liberal arts university and I didn't think I could credibly pass myself off as a punk any more. I enjoyed Smiths, Erasure and other stuff that people called "new wave" but you're right, it was really more "new music"...heard it referred to as "indie rock" or "college rock" sometimes.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I worked at Kingswood in the summer of 1984. Unreal year for touring acts there. Pretenders, Grateful Dead, Huey Lewis, Squeeze and plenty of others. Made $3.85 an hour - plus all the free tickets I could handle - and loved every minute of it.

Great venue for outdoor shows that was a lot easier to get to than the Molson Amphitheatre without the nasty breezes off the lake.

Draft saved Draft deleted