1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fads you remember fondly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Cooperalls!

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As a man who was a teenaged punk rocker in the mid-80s, I must express my extreme fondness for New Wave Girls, and all their associated fads.

Their sideways haircuts.
    The wine coolers they drank.
    Their goofy clothes: baggy blouses, brooches at the neck, freaky 80s jackets, tight jeans :), clunky shoes, topcoats, multiple bracelets.
    NO TATTOOS.

80s New Wave Style: Not the most esthetically well-advised ethic, admittedly. And it was horrible when dudes got into it...new wave dudes were very irritating pussies. But new wave girls...cute. So damn cute.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I remember no fad fondly, thus, that's why it's a fad.

If it had any actual use to society -- it wouldn't have been a fad. That's why cell phones, PDAs, Internet, You Tube and such cannot be included in this debate.

Makes me wonder though what the latest verse of "We Didn't Start the Fire" would be, though.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Vision hip packs.

"flip" haircuts.

Skateboards -- yes, for most of the world, they were a fat.

Rat tails.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the free love movement.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're talking those skinny ones from the late 70s/early 80s, the ones where your heels hung off one side and your toes off the other? Those sucked compared to the mini-surfboards of today.

I do not miss the Miami Vice look, though I rocked it in high school.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It only took 16 posts for someone to take offense that it turned political.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

mushroom haircuts, the idiotic practice of wearing overalls with one strap un buckled... never got sucked into those, thank god...

back when I was a freshman, there was a big rift at my high school.. the rednecks loved their Confederate flag tshirts, the black kids loved their Malcolm X shirts... the local news even pounced on that one.

9. Many a frantic final 30 seconds on the bus every morning were spent trying to get the bottoms of my cords "just so" so as not to attract attention.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Y'all tight-rolled cords? At my high school, we only did that with jeans.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

At My HS, guys tight-rolled their jeans, while girls safety-pinned them, leading to a capri-like look.

But we were a bunch of sheep-fucking hick morons...

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Could not agree more on the girls, Irish. Well done. Scary thing is remembering how hot they looked and then running into them now. Saw an old high school classmate a few weeks ago, a surprise since we're a long way from the Ohio burg we grew up in. I nearly gasped. Of course, she was probably doing the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted