1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facts? Plaschke don't need stinking fact

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Nov 12, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's 87, and yet to sign a Dodger whose made the majors. Maybe at half the salary, they are overpaying him.

Maybe his handwritten notes are being delayed by the pony express.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's nitpicking. When you read someone's undrafted, it sounds like no one wanted him/he was overlooked/all these others were perceived better, which is one I think the story was trying to convey.

But if there was no draft at that time and it was a free for all to sign anyone, then I don't think it's right to say he went undrafted, because everyone reading it in 2009 will assume that there was a draft, because that is how sports teams have gotten their players for decades now.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I don't mean at all to disrespect the guy, because I used to cover prep baseball in his area and he was a legend.

However, at age 87, I doubt he's doing more than making a few token reports on players who are within 20 minutes of his house. It's probably more of an honorary position to thank him for his years of service. I have trouble feeling too bad for him for getting his "salary" cut.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

A good researcher/reporter shouldn't need the desk to save him or her as far as factual and historical information are concerned.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Especially in L.A., where Monday was key for a World Series championship team, and has been a team broadcaster for years.

After reading the lead, I stopped reading and pulled up firejoemorgan.com. I really miss that site.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I need to get to bed, but this thread caught my attention. So many issues, so little time.

First of all cranberry, with all respect, this particular line might be one of the silliest I have ever read on this site.

I've worked with both guys, and am a fan in different ways of both, and Plaschke has been doing Plaschke since 1980. Simers has been doing Simers, with some evolution, since 1975.

Plaschke writing the lines you cited because he wants to be Simers? Geezus. I can find you a Plaschke high school story from 1981 that uses the same devices.

Second, I guess I'm a crappy copy editor -- all evidence and reviews, I thought, to the contrary -- because I did NOT know that Rick Monday was the first draft pick ever, and I probably would NOT have caught that this guy couldn't have been drafted. Sorry, dooley -- I guess I wasn't plugged into the same basic sports copy editor knowledge base.

You can make the case that as much as Plaschke does baseball, and knows about L.A. baseball, that he might have known. But except for one word, basically Plaschke was saying that he wasn't signed by a big-league organization as a potential star and kicked around in the minors pretty much his whole career. And so -- and yeah, I know, there are words, but also WORDS -- this whole thread is about one extraneous and, yes, incorrect word that somebody should have caught -- all two of the copy editors the Times probably had working that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted