1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facial Hair

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The first one, but common sense doesn't always win.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

How you appear goes to self-respect. And no self-respecting person would ever want to be a journalist. ;D

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the guy who has shown he can do the fucking job.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Amen. If the person smells like the Senator Craig stall, that's one thing, otherwise, who cares?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you dress like a professional, management thinks you will act like a professional. You dress like a loser and management thinks they would be hiring a loser, or at least someone who doesn't care enough to look his/her very best.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

But who shows up to work 5 days a week in a suit and tie.
    Don't look sloppy is all, let your work speak for itself.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amen, brother marv.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you're barking up the wrong tree, harley.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

In no means is a suit necesary, but if you've got one, use it. It doesn't make you the better hire, but dressing as nicely as possible and being as well-groomed as possible conveys enthusiasm for the job. If you get hired, then you can fall into suit (no pun intended) with the rest of the newsroom.

And as for facial hair, it'll grow back. I 86ed my beard and got a crew cut for my last round of interviews six months ago. I've never been good with styling, so I take no chances. After all that, I ended up taking a job across the country that interviewed me by phone and never saw me until I showed up a month later.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Too late now, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask the person you will be interviewing with how they feel about facial hair or if the paper has any rules about it. I have a friend who has pretty long hair and he asked during a phone interview if his editor had any problems with long hair. He was willing to get a haircut, but the paper didn't care, so he didn't cut it.

I'm years away from being in a hiring position, but I don't think it would matter as long as it was trimmed and clean cut for the interview. It also depends on how long you've had it and how willing you are to part with it. What's the point of shaving facial hair for an interview if after a week or so on the job you are going to grow it back? Especially when you'll have to take a week or so of not shaving to grow it back. It might look bad to have it during the interview, but it's better than looking like a bum and not shaving your first few weeks on the job to grow it back.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you don't have facial hair, do you jeremy?

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I do not. I grew a few different things in college, but it was mostly when I was working the desk. I also look like an idiot with facial hair, or so friends and family have said.

Draft saved Draft deleted