1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facial Hair

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I have a long tradition of shaving my goatee before a job interview. In all cases, I grow it back within the first few weeks of landing the job. I realize that there are lots of people with facial hair who aren't called to task for it. I just have this fear that the one person who'll dislike it will be the person doing the hiring. In the morning, I'll have my first job interview in a few years. I'm debating whether to shave off my whiskers. Or, I guess I could leave a strip and die it red...

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i interview with a well-groomed miami vice-like beard, an earring and no tie. i'm not showing anyone something they aren't getting, and i've never interviewed for a job i didn't get.

if anything, i'm too honest ... although it's never come back to bite me in the ass as far as interviews are concerned.

3. An earring, huh? I've always taken mine out. I've got three.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm just glad someone responded to such a stupid thread. I'm that guy who dresses to the nines and shows up at the party to find everyone else wearing jeans and T-shirts. But I learned from an old boss that you really can't be too formal outside of showing up in a tuxedo. I don't think many people say, "Damn, that asshole wore a suit. There's no way we're hiring someone who wears a suit. It's completely disrespectful."

Just to be safe, I've decided to shave my entire body except for my eyebrows. People shave their eyebrows look like they're visiting from Neptune.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i only have a single, so it's much easier to say "fuck 'em," in all honesty.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

A buddy of mine was told to get his suit pressed for his interview. Better safe than sorry.
    I always go suit.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

1. this is a great thread ... i can't wait to hear what buck has to say since i believe he'll have a strong opinion on this one.

2. if you look good dressed up and feel comfortable, go with it.

3. don't waste your time with shaving body hair you want rid of. if you really want it gone, wax it.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

This does bring up an interesting question. I always wear a suit for interviews, but rarely in the office.
    Thus, what's the point of them seeing me dressed in attire that I never wear at work? Seems kinda silly.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

without being a dick, really, i'm batting 1.000. what are you batting ... for the sake of an argument?

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

always got the job if I interviewed. Knock on wood. That being said, I wish I had more interviews.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm batting 1.000 as well. I've always gone with nice slacks and a button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up...so it looks like I'm ready to get dirty.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'm not batting 1.000 and I always wear a tie. As for facial hair, I go clean-shaven for the interview, then every 7-10 days once I hire on.

Draft saved Draft deleted