1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 11, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the upgrades on Facebook are great and all - but seeing "news" posted that is already out of date and innacurate is probably as damaging as the fake crud people post.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m on Facebook because I’m fairly old and not very trendy (and because acquaintances and family are even less cutting-edge). Because the paper I used to work for wanted to use employees’ established accounts to continually hype stories, my account is under a fairly obscure nickname. That was so I could lie and say that I didn’t do Facebook.

Now that I’ve finally caught on that videos with the tag, “You won’t believe what happens! Wait for it!” almost always disappoint, I’m moving on to learning that, the longer a post is that supposedly happened in “real life,” the less likely it is to be true. This seems to especially be the case if the story is making some sort of point or has a “moral.”

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have a Facespace account that I haven't logged into in months and months — hell, maybe more than a year. My photo is so old, I had a mustache then. I cut that thing off 10 years ago.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

IJAG would.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ranking member MakesnoSensenbrenner using his precious time at the top of today's historic tech hearing to ask Zuck why Twitter took down Don Jr's tweet is just so on the nose for these GOP fools.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Every day and a doubleheader on Sunday.

swingline likes this.
  8. DanOregon

I ignore most of the "content" FB sends my way, but I always watch those resin table builds.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. DanOregon

Suddenly all my FB friends are commenting on random favorite movie, trip and music queries posted by third party(non friend) users? And they're filling up my feed? Weird.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Similar to resin or wood turning?

11. DanOregon

How did I go this long without following the National Park Service's Facebook page? I'm counting on it to improve my algorithm. Great pics, fun content. I mean, who doesn't love Fat Bear Week?

SFIND and Vombatus like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was that their nod to Pride Month?

Draft saved Draft deleted