1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread refreshed I assumed it was about how the FB SDK was causing Spotify, TikTok and tons of other apps to crash today. FB is in a world of hurt.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could delete my Facebook now, and not lose a wink of sleep over it.
    I get on FB basically just to see a birthday here and there.
    I think I have an Instagram or Snapchat.
    I'm fairly certain that whoever invented Tik-tok needs to be put out of their misery.
    I was at a baseball game last night, and off to the side of the stands, there were a half-dozen or so teenagers that had their phone wedged in a gate pointed back at them dancing.
    In the words of the great Buford T. Justice.
    ......"What the hell is the world coming to?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I made a rare response to a status about the couple in St. Louis who waved weapons at protesters. I called them White Trash. For that, I was told my "continued use of hate speech" would lead to my account being suspended. Here's the thing: Most of my posts consist of me complimenting what people have made, offering headpats to the distressed, and talking about religion, science, music, books, and movies. It's my escape from this mess, not my soapbox to yell about it.

And yet they imply I have a history of using hate speech.

Since it's obvious they are going to find something else to pin on me, I decided to go out with a bang and gave them some actual hate speech.

I would say that Facebook is staffed by syphilitic peanut rapers, that the toadstool sucking genetic misfires who worry so much about the feelings of racists and bigots and yet allow all kinds of actual hate speech to go without comment are worthy only of my contempt. But I would never say that because I’m nice and it’s a Sunday.

I Found it! Yes, that's right FACEBOOK! I want a taco truck on every corner. I want to hear multiple languages at the grocery store. It's not rocket science to learn to say "Paper or plastic?" in two or three languages and to understand the responses. I MISS THE BLACK GUY WHO OCCUPIED 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE BEFORE THIS CURRENT PERSON. THAT'S RIGHT, FACEBOOK. WE HAD A BLACK PRESIDENT FOR TWO TERMS. HE WAS GOOD AT IT, TOO! I CAN SAY CONFIDENCE THAT HE IS MUCH SMARTER THAN ANY OF YOU FASCIST-LOVING QUISLINGS. NO MATTER WHO YOU HELP STEAL THE ELECTION FOR IN THE FUTURE...IN FACT, YOU CAN HELP STEAL IT FOR THE NEXT CENTURY AND YOU WILL BE FOREVER OWNED BECAUSE THE PEOPLE SPOKE AND WE PICKED A BLACK MAN AND A WOMAN OVER YOUR CURRENT LORD AND SAVIOUR AND YOU KNOW IT AND YOU KNOW YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THE FECKIN LOSERS YOU ARE RIGHT NOW AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO CHANGE THAT.

Funny thing... I am a former verger. The only reason I didn't go to seminary was that I couldn't afford it. During that time, I did a lot of studying of the Abrahamic Bible and NOT ONE TIME did I ever see these ideas in red letters:

Thou shalt wave loaded weapons at peaceful protesters.

Thou shalt put small children in cages if their skin happens to be the wrong color.

Thou shalt abbreviate the rights of people who are different from you.

Thou shalt rape.

Thou shalt kill 137,000 people and counting with a plague to enrich thyself.

Thou shalt let an ignorant, simpering harridan endanger children and educators to enrich herself and her family.

Thou shalt hate the poor, the elderly, and the disabled and punish them for being that way.

Thou shalt foment hate and violence.

Thy hateful words and actions shalt have a body count, and you can call those who act on your words, "Mighty fine people."

I could go on. And on. And on. I've seen four years of this and I have never gotten used it. And here's the thing, FACEBOOK, the views listed above, the ones you have actively defended and espoused while the people who hug the bible with one hand and flip off the rest of the world with the other? I have news for you and them.

NONE OF THAT IS BIBLICAL. IN FACT, THOSE BEHAVIOURS ARE PRETTY MUCH PROSCRIBED BY THE BIBLES I HAVE. I've looked in every translation on my shelves. I've looked at the ones with more books, less books... NO, YOU CREEPS. IT IS NOWHERE IN THE BIBLE YOUR LORD AND SAVIOUR CLAIMS TO USE AS A GUIDE. PICK ANOTHER BOOK TO CLAIM AS YOUR OWN. THIS ONE DOES NOT SAY WHAT YOU CLAIM IT SAYS.

I hate those motherfuckers.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You buried the lede. Did they suspend your account? (And nicely done.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

“Syphilitic peanut rapers.” That could be the greatest three-word combination ever typed into this site.

HanSenSE, Batman, SFIND and 3 others like this.
  6. OscarMadison

I called the McClowskeys White Trash. I think the words were just simple enough their censors understood them, unlike what others said. And thank you.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ok, you're pointing out exactly the issue with the demands that FB filter what it posts.

Who gets to decide that calling someone white trash is OK, but posting Proud Boy memes is not?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fuckerberg, that's who.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All Righty Then!!

I've been similarly tempted, believe you me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

FB has a shit ton of photos and videos of kids under the age of 15 that parents are not going to want to go away.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I only keep Facebook for the ease of being able to access apps. I may as well be a ghost on there anyway. I changed my name and am extremely hard to find, and I rarely post.

12. OscarMadison

The only reason I keep Facebook is to stay connected with people who are so dependent on it. I didn't realize that some people would assume the rules of engagement for Facebook were the same everywhere else. I left it for a year and a half. After that, one friend kept calling me between 1:30 am and 3:00 am because that was when she was on Facebook. The internet is making us crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted