1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook to launch vanity URLs on Saturday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 9, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'll be playing ball when the onslaught begins. Thus, I will have my Smartphone at the ready to click the right button. ;-)

2. digger

digger New Member

I guess I'm old, or stupid. I read this story and have no idea what it's talking about. And it's not like I don't understand facebook, because I'm on that. (although sometimes it does confound me).

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Digger,
    Instead of your Facebook profile's URL reading http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=842865642&ref=profile, if you select this option, you can now have it read http://www.facebook.com/digger, which makes it easier to share with friends and family.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

But there are 10,000 quizzes. I don't want to have to kill each one individually. I want to never see any of them ever again. Surely there has to be a way to do that.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You can block people who post them, and you can block each type of quiz, but you can't (currently) block anything that resembles one since they're different apps technically. :(

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

No, you can't block them all at once because each new quiz sets up its own application. If you've done a number of them, go into your applications and check it out ... it's all littered up with that shit.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Apparently there is some kind of way, by moving status updates to the top on the list on the left of your home page, to block all that stuff. You'll get status updates and not quizzes.

If you hide a particular person, you don't defriend him, right? Just his/her updates?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd like an answer to that too. I have a cousin whose status updates are cringefests and 30x daily. But I can't de-friend him for family harmony's sake.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it is to help people find you via search.

So I could say just search "mustangj17" to find me.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

You can hide a person - all their stuff. You're still their friend, but you won't see anything they post. As someone said earlier, you hover your mouse to the right of their update and you'll see a drop down with the option to hide the person.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Moddy,

The upper lefthand corner of your home page should look like this:

[​IMG]

If you click the "status updates" button it will show you only status updates.

And as Dyno has already said, you can hide all posts from a certain person and still be their friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted